A body suddenly barrels into mine from an alleyway, nailing my chest with disorderly impact.

"Woah—" I catch them before they fall. Nimble hands gripping my arms as their legs barely hold themselves up. Looking down to a face head level with my chest, I meet eyes with the prettiest blue I've ever known. "Av?"

My skin rushes with goosebumps; it's indescribable.

Her spaced-out gaze burns into me while clutching my biceps for dear life. Concern and disarray surges me from her very presence, having no idea where the hell she came from and why she's a block from my apartment. Smelling strong of liquor, her glazed pupils are massive and she's devoured in sweat. This has to be a dream; I must've fallen asleep after all.

"They want me to have a baby..." She whines with a sense of frightened mercy.

My face loses its tension, my heart plummeting from her pained words. Just like that, she shuts her eyes and lets her knees give out entirely. Becoming dead weight, my arms tighten around her.

"Baby...hey...." I glance back and forth along the street. No one is with her; she's all alone out here. I hoist her up for better grip with my arms around her back, looking down at her temple resting against my chest. I have so many questions, so many worries.

"How did you get here? You're supposed to be across town..."

She hums like she's lost all consciousness. I've never seen her in this state before. She's been wasted, but this is a whole new level. She's strung out on something.

"Aven, try to look at me..." I grab her face so her lips smush together. "Did you take something?"

Her eyebrows twitch, her forehead drifting back to the dip in my throat. I shut my eyes in worry as my hand slides to the back of her head, tangling in the roots of her hair. My other arm stays secure around her back.

She's hurting.

"I'm sorry, angel." I muffle against the top of her gentle head.

I look along the street again, wondering how she walked nearly forty minutes alone like this. According to her calendar, she is supposed to be at this benefit. She's all the way on my side of town. Luckily enough, I caught her and not a creep. The timing is pure serendipity. But how is this actually happening?

What do I do?

"Okay, c'mon..." I bend down and scoop her legs from beneath her. Hoisting her again, she wraps both arms around my neck and lays her head against me. She's obliterated. I can smell the liquor exuding from her pours.

I turn back in the direction I came.

"Do you have your phone on you, Av?"

She hums what I think is a no.

"I think you need a hospital."

She shakes her head against my neck.

"Love, I'm scared you're overdosing on something,"

She nuzzles against me harder, trying to get as close to me as possible with her arms fastening around my neck. I'm not used to this feeling anymore—her clinging onto me in safety. Even though she's incoherent, I feel warm. Cutting an alley, I make my way back the few blocks to the bar, trying not to look suspect over the fact I'm carrying an unconscious woman. Right now would be the worst time for someone to recognize the frontman of Duplicity.

I can't take her to a hospital unless necessary, it will only make her life harder if Malikai finds out about this. She will be punished.

"My dress..." She barely annunciates. "...riding up."