"I spoke to Guzman, and he believes they were looking for something specific. No one is sure yet, but Lilliana, this looks like the work of Florient."

My eyes widen. I haven't heard that name in years, maybe a decade.

"What does Vincent Florient want with us. We've had no run ins with them."

"I don't know. Also Vincent is no longer the head of the Florient family. Saint is. His son."

Suddenly, memories of a blonde boy, with wonderful eyes, pulling me away towards the parking lot and offering me a piece of cake my mother forbade me from having fill my mind.

He kisses my cheek but lingers in front of me. So, I pull him for a quick thank you peck on the lips. He was my first kiss, and one of my closest friends at the events my mother used to drag me to.

Vik, my mother's right hand walks in. "There was a second attack."

An involuntary sigh leaves my lips. "At which location?" My mom asks after glaring at me.

"The Haze Family storage." Anxiety immedately washes over me.

"Was anyone hurt?" I try to void my voice of any emotions, but it cracks as I finish my question.

"So far there's been two fatalities, and seven men have been taken to a hospital."

My hand is shaking, as I reach for my phone to try and reach Elijah.

Again, there is no response.

I call his sister, Billie, and she responds. "Lilliana?"

"Yes, hi." I know this must be awkward for her, because we haven't said more than ten words to each other since I've been married to her brother.

"Are you okay?"

"I am. I was just wondering if you'd heard from your brother." I don't go into too much detail, because if she's unaware of what's happening then it may be best to keep it that way.

"No, I've been out of the state for a couple of days with Amelie. His idea. Is he okay?"

"No, he just left his phone behind before going to see your parents, and he's been gone a while. I just can't reach him. I'll let you go. Bye." If nothing is wrong, I don't want to worry her, so I opt to lie.

I turn to Vik. "What hospital have they been taken to?"

"Everyone who was at the scene was taken to Martins&Loe Hospital."

I grab my bag and keys from the table and head for the door.

"Lilliana, you have a job to do right here." My mother grabs my arm extremely tight. It triggers something in me, and with all the strength I can muster right now, I push her hands off me.

I try to stabilise my breathing, pushing away all the thoughts that are filling my mind right now. "You told me to be a wife. That's what I'm doing. I am not going to do whatever it is you want me here for, whilst I don't know if the father of the four kids you pulled me away from in the middle of the night is okay. I'll be back to deal with all of this later."

I drive to Martins-Loe in a panic.

Stepping out of my car, I immediately recognise some of Elijah's people. When I don't see him, I head to the reception.

"I'm looking for someone who might have been brought here."

The receptionist eyes me carefully. "Do you have a name?"

"Yes. Elijah Haze. He's my husband."

"A Mrs Haze is here already." His tone becomes accusing, "Listen, I don't know what you want, but there's families grieving here, so take it somewhere else."

What the hell is going on? "Another Mrs Haze? It might be his mother. Please, I just need to know if my husband is okay."

"No. Mrs Haze was with the patient's mother, as well."

As I start to spiral, I see a very familiar face. "Kenan!" He turns to me and rushes to my side. "Where is he? Is he okay?"

My words are rushed and tangled with each other, but he understands. "He's in surgery."

"Surgery? Why? Kenan, what the hell happened?"

"He was shot. It's a chest wound. Very close to his heart."

We start walking towards the room, but the receptionist stops us. "She's not allowed in."

"She's his wife." Kenan rebuts. Without a second glance at the man behind the desks, Kenan leads me to the private waiting room.

"Whatever that was about, I'm certain his mother was involved." Kenan sighs, "She's going to be there, so you'll have to act like you don't know anything about what she's done. I know it's going to be the furthest thing away from easy, but Lijh is taking care of things already, and until he gets out of surgery she needs to remain clueless. Not only to ensure that things go according to plan, but also the ensure your safety."

I nod, taking in deep breaths before getting to the waiting room.

Mrs Haze is the first person I notice. She is evidently displeased over my arrival, and instinctively, I reach for Kenan's arms. She masks her annoyance and heads towards me. "Lilliana, we were waiting for you darling." Her arms wrap around me, and immediately my heart starts to beat at an unusual pace.

I practice some relaxation techniques I learned, and disentangle myself from her hug. "The front desk was being a bit difficult, I'm here now, though." Her tight smiles tightens even more.

Without a second glance I head to an empty chair. I obsessively glance towards the door, waiting for any news. Hours pass and nothing.

Around 6:00 am, a doctor finally comes in. "Family of Elijah Haze?" I get up in a hurry, and approach her. "Hi, I'm Doctor Mitchell."

"I'm his wife. How is he?"

"The surgery was successful, but we are waiting for him to wake up." I don't register much of anything else she says. I can finally begin to breathe. It was a successful surgery, so he's going to wake up. Please God, let him wake up.

"We are only allowing one visitor at a time, for now." The answer is to Mrs Haze's question about seeing him. Dr Mitchell looks at me expectantly. "Yes, right. It should be me, who sees him."

After offering Kenan a quick smile I follow Dr Mitchell to Elijah's room.

It's almost automatic. As soon as I walk in, I go to his side and hold his hand tightly in mine. "I need you to wake up, Elijah. And soon. I need to let you know that I don't blame you anymore, that I never hated you, that I. . . Just wake up, soon. The kids can't lose you. They need you." I sigh, "Fuck, Elijah, I need you."