21

After a week spent in the hospital, Xander finally gets to go home today

After a week spent in the hospital, Xander finally gets to go home today. It took longer than the doctors originally planned for because he had a seizure in his sleep, and he had to stay in the hospital.

As we drive to my cousin's house, he falls asleep in my arms.

The orphanage is being investigated, and we have been granted temporary custody of the kids.

In less than two days of investigation from the police department, it has come to light that there have been more than five occasions where children of color were put into the care of unfit people.

I and Elijah have discussed the possibility of fostering or adopting the kids, how it would work, with us being married but not being a couple, with our family drama and ensuring they're kept safe from the violence of our world.

Finding a way to keep them safe is the only thing we have finalized.

As soon as we walk through the door, Xander runs to Malik, who has become his best fried in the past couple of months.

My cousin pulls him into a tight hug, before releasing him to go to his siblings.

I head upstairs to my room, and hear footsteps behind me. Nessa and Talia are walking with me, and as my bedroom's door closes, the questions start.

We spend the majority of our time discussing the kids, but the inevitable question is eventually asked.

"How was it being around Elijah again?" Vanessa asks apprehensively.

"It was fine. We spoke about the kids only. I think he knows I can't talk about any thing else with him. He briefly mentioned the fact that we have to stay married, and that eventually I'll have to move back in, but that's it. I did see something on his phone, though."

Their attention is solely on me, and I eye the door, to make sure it's closed.

"His phone rang while he was talking to the doctor. It was a text from Kenan. They found Oron, I think."

I hear the sharp intake of breath from one of them, and continue my story, whilst picking the skin on my fingers. "I don't know what the plan is, but I think they're moving in tonight."

When no one adds anything, I speak up again, "I thought knowing that would bring me peace, but it doesn't in the way I thought it would. It was different with Daniel, because he was someone I thought was a friend, and I got some closure, but with Oron . . . I just want him and all the men that hurt me or helped him hurt me dead. I don't care how."

They nod in understanding, and just as Talia is about to add something, a knock on the door stops her.

Elijah comes in after I ask him to, and as he steps in, my cousins automatically get up to leave.

"I just wanted to let you know that I'll be gone for the night and will be back tomorrow for the kids."

Even after my brief acknowledgement of his statement, he stays by the door, his body slightly leaning against the frame.