Chapter 28

After a long, hard battle, the Paladins finally beat Honerva, the universe finally, after so long, being able to rest. And the Paladins, fully intact, returned home.

After some time to reunite and marvel in their victory and relax, the Paladins, plus Rora and Kassy, were in one of the lounges.

"So, what's everyone gonna do now the war's over?" Shiro asked. "For me, I'll be spending some time with my son."

"I'm hoping to settle down with a certain girl." Rora replied, smiling softly. Pidge raised her eyebrows at her, and smirked, and Rora rolled her eyes.

At that moment, Allura walked in, and took in the relaxing Paladins.

"What are you all doing resting?"

"Um, we're kinda really tired. From winning the war." Lance replied.

"The war may be over, but that does not mean our work is done." Allura replied.

"It kinda does, Allura." Kassy replied.

"Pardon? Why are you even in here? I thought it was Paladins only?"

"Nobody cares, Allura." Pidge replied. "They're as much of a part as Team Voltron as anyone."

"Well, regardless, we need to scour the galaxy for anyone remaining from the Galra troops." Allura replied.

"No, we don't. They're without leader, they have nothing to fight for now." Shiro replied. "Anyone remaining will not be trying anything, because their numbers will be far less than what we have. The entire galaxy is against them."

"I don't care! We need to do this!"

"Why, Allura?" Keith asked, staring at her. "You want to ensure safety, or you want to eradicate the last of the Galra?"

"Safety!" Allura replied.

"Oh, come on. We see what this is about." Keith rolled his eyes.

"And, for Christ's sake, Allura, even if that was a threat, let us chill for 5 minutes. You know how long we've been away from our families? How long it's been since we've been able to eat food we love, and just exist?" Lance added.

"Regardless, work doesn't stop for us." Allura replied.

"But it does, you absolute fool." Kassy sighed.

"Like I said, this is Paladins only. Why are you even here?"

"Because I can be. Why'd you have a problem with me but not with Rora?"

"You know what? Rora, why are you here?"

"Because I can be! Jesus Christ, you need to stop!" Rora sighed. "You're obsessed with your position because it's all you have. You want to continue this because you don't know what you'll do when it's officially over."

"We need to find the remainders of his troops and ensure they are not a threat!"

"You don't fucking listen, Jesus Christ. Look, Shiro can't go anyway, because he's a dad."

"The life of Shiro's son is worth far less than any damage done to Earth."

"Oh, shit." Lance glanced over at Kassy, who rose from her seat.

"You wanna say that again? You wanna talk about my son again?!" Kassy snapped. Rora placed a hand on her arm.

"Kassy, sit down. This is my fight."

"Fine, Rora, what's your issue? This does not concern you!"

"You wanna talk about my friends? Come fucking talk to my face! You know what? Look around. You want to go off galavanting? I count, one, two, three people who were still kids when they started fighting! They're fucking traumatised, Allura, and they need the time with their families!"

"I didn't choose the Paladins, did I?!"

"You didn't make things much better with all the pressuring to train, did you? My sister! She was 15 years old, and you were making her train for 7 hours at a time. 15 years old!"

"She needed the training!"

"Well, congrats. You traumatised my little sister."

"You know what? You can tell I didn't have a choice in the matter! You're all fucking useless!"

Rora shook her head. "Would you like to repeat that? Allura thinks you're all useless, guys. You guys literally win a space war? Nope, not enough for her majesty. They'll never be enough for you, will they? It's no use, guys, we'll never be enough."

"Allura, please." Coran said.

"Shut up, Coran! You're so obnoxious! I doubt anyone here actually likes you!"

Coran stepped back, at first in shock, then he looked hurt.

"Okay, you've taken this too far, Allura." Rora said, before completely snapping, and bitch slapping her across the face. "Snap out of it! Go get some help! We are not playing your little game." She turned and walked out. Pidge got up and followed her, the rest of the group looking on in shock.

"Forget this." Lance said. "Do what you want, Allura, go take them out yourself. I'm going to see my mom."

Keith got up and followed Lance out.

"N-no, don't leave, I-"

"I really didn't need this." Kassy glared at her. "And you know what? You can go fuck yourself. You can't say anything about Coran because you're the one we don't like. And I'm leaving dramatically now."

Kassy got up and left, shaking her head, as Shiro followed her.

"You really feel like that?" Coran asked quietly. "You think I'm... obnoxious?"

"Coran, I-"

"I'm sorry. I'll leave you alone." he frowned and left, as did the rest of the group, leaving Allura all alone.

***

"Hey, Shiro! Quick word?" Veronica found Shiro alone in the kitchen, making himself coffee with 5 tequila shots (apparently).

"Sure, what's up?"

"Look, you're closer to Kassy than anyone else I know. I would have asked Maeve, but... well. Anyway, I was..." she glanced around to check Kassy wasn't nearby. "I told myself that if we won the war, I'd propose. And guess what! So, I was wondering if you'd help me."

"Help you propose? I hope you're aware I know nothing about weddings, or proposals."

"I know, it's fine. I just want it to be perfect. And you'd know what she'd like."

Shiro nodded. "I'll help you."