15

Today was the second day of negotiations and meetings between Lexa and Zalia. Lexa's advisors were not happy with Zalia's terms and Zalia was not happy with their terms. They wanted the Underground to be like any other clan, but that wasn't what Zalia or her team wanted. They knew that the other clans could kill Lexa at any moment if they didn't have the advantages of being closer to Lexa and the free passage.

Zalia, Marian and Echo were at the market before the first meeting of the day. The looks of everyone were very noticeable. Many people still hated the Underground and many of the vendors didn't wanna serve them, but that didn't stop them from trying. They were without their helmets and Zalia was able to take off her glasses even though it was so bright outside since she had gotten accustomed to the sun by now.

She walked closer to one of the tents and saw a woman making a beautiful necklace with some green and black stones. "Bilaik ste biyuti (That's beautiful)." Said Zalia softly, trying not to scare the woman since she was so focused on the necklace. The woman looked at her and smiled softly. "Mochof. (Thank you)" She replied. "Chit can ai kof gon em? (How much for it?)" Zalia asked. The woman smiled slightly and shook her head. "Yu wamplei the maun. (You killed the mountain)" The woman grabbed the necklace and gave it to Zalia. "Mochof." Zalia said and still placed a nice amount of coins on the woman's table. She wasn't gonna just take it even when she protested.

Marian and Echo managed to buy some items as well from the vendors who didn't curse them out. It was now time for the first meeting of the day and Zalia was worried. They were not making any progress. She knew she would have to talk to Lexa in private at some point. She knew her advisors were being too set on their ways. Maybe if she spoke to Lexa alone she could manage to make her understand.

*****

That first meeting was another failure. Zalia had told Osias to join through video call and maybe offer another point of view, but Lexa's advisors and the clans' ambassadors were not budging. Nothing that Zalia suggested was sticking with them, they weren't willing to reach a middle ground. So after the meeting, Zalia went to her room for a while to think. She knew she had to forget her pride and talk to Lexa alone, even if she didn't really feel like seeing her.

*****

Lexa hears a knock on the door of her room and she speaks up "Who is it?" Her guard responds "The Underground leader, Heda." Lexa stands up and takes a breath. "Let her in." The door opens and there is Zalia standing. She has no equipment or weapons on her, just her black cargo pants and t-shirt. She walks in and bows her head slightly. "Heda." The door closes and Lexa looks at her, studying her. Zalia was still being hard to read, she still wasn't back to that woman she have seen in the Underground when she went to visit. She was being cautious and hiding behind her walls. Lexa understood why, but it was becoming frustrating for her.

"Zalia please take a seat." She said while she walked over to the table. "I thought you'd be tired of seeing me by now." Lexa said as she sat down. Zalia sighed and looked at her, this time it was like her walls were coming down. She knew she couldn't be guarded if she wanted to truly get to Lexa. "I... I want to speak freely. That's not something I can really do at the meetings." Lexa nodded. "Go on." Zalia took a breath. "I am hurt and very angry with your trade with the mountain." Lexa nods "I understand. But we have bigger concerns." Zalia sighs and shakes her head. "I cannot believe how could just betray an alliance that quickly." Lexa raises her eyebrow. "I do what I must for my people." "We were going to rescue them! We were going to do it together!" Zalia says in frustration. "And how many of my people would've died?!" Lexa responded and Zalia looked at her in anger but didn't say anything. "Tell me how many of your people died while taking the mountain?" Lexa asked and Zalia sighed before responding "None." "Exactly. You and I know you didn't need my help. You just needed the motivation in order to do it. How many years have
my people suffered because of the mountain and you didn't do anything? Huh?" Zalia stayed silent. "And suddenly in a single night you took care of it because they had your people as blood bags. Now while they killed hundreds of my people you didn't do anything! So I had to do something. And you clearly didn't need my help." Zalia stayed silent as she lowered her head.