Chapter 7

"Badgerpaw? What are you doing here?" Coalpaw asked, flabbergasted and puzzled to see his brother in the Dark Forest, of all places and talking to their grandfather.

Badgerpaw turned to him and smiled a little, though he could see the sadness in his eyes. The news of both of their parents death still pained him.

"Hi Coalpaw, have you been here before?"

Weaselflight grinned, "so nice of you to join us Coalpaw, your brother has decided to join us on our training. He says he needs help with his fighting skills".

Coalpaw still looked confused, "but Badgerpaw, I thought you were getting better at fighting. I saw how you were in that battle we were in, you were really good!"

"Yeah but I want to be better! I want to be the best warrior of Ashclan, and to make our parents proud" he whispered the last part.

Weaselflight smiled, "I like your spirit" he said and turned to Coalpaw, "what do you say, Coalpaw? Will you still train under me along with your brother and you both become the best warriors of Ashclan?"

Coalpaw began to ponder. Sure he enjoyed his time training along side Weaselflight, but he was aware that he was training in the Dark Forest and he wasn't sure if he wanted his brother to be in there.

"Don't you want to make your parents proud?" He heard Weaselflight say but there was a question he needed an answer from Badgerpaw.

"Badgerpaw, do you know who he is? How long have you been here?"

"He's our grandfather and I've known him for a couple of days" his brother said casually.

Coalpaw nodded, if Weaselflight has been visiting Badgerpaw then he must have been coming in at certain times or taking turns from train Coalpaw to Badgerpaw, it was quite confusing to him.

"Will you still train with Weaselflight along side me? We'll be the best warriors of Ashclan! Russetclaw will be smiling down at us!" Badgerpaw mewed happily while the dark forest cat grinned.

"You should know you're not the only one training under me, in fact there are other apprentices like you that are being trained by a few cats here who want to become the best warriors in their clan. You can become one of them, don't tell me you're backing down now that your brother has joined us" Weaselflight's voice became a low growl.

Coalpaw pondered again, it would be nice to train along side his brother and become the greatest warriors in their clan, Hazelpaw will be proud. he thought of his friend. Dad will be glad his kits aren't worthless, and mom...

"I'm still with you, why would I leave you hanging? What are we learning about today?" Coalpaw asked cooly which made Weaselflight grin and Badgerpaw leap with joy.

***

"Wake up Coalpaw! C'mon you need to focus!"

Coalpaw woke up from his daze feeling a little light headed and his legs wanting to give out. Now that Badgerpaw has joined him and Weaselflight, he spends more time in the Darkforest making him more sore from the extra training he does with his second mentor.

"Sorry Blizzardclaw, I haven't been able to sleep lately" he lied though Blizzardclaw huffed in annoyance, "listen Coalpaw, I know you're upset of your parents passing but you need to learn that this is what the life of a warrior is. You will be seeing more deaths and injured cats, I'm not saying this to scare you but to prepare yourself, and as a warrior you must stay strong and care for your clan. It's what your parents would have wanted" the grey and white tom explained to him to which Coalpaw nodded.