Chapter 1

"When will he wake up!" A kit squeaked.

"Give him time, just be patient" his mother told him.

"Please wake up Coalkit, we're waiting for you!" A new voice spoke. He never heard this voice before but it sounded sweet but also daring. Who was this mysterious voice? He knew it was kit because of the squeaky small voice and it was a she-cat.

He has been wondering what the world looked liked, so maybe it was time, his brother Badgerkit was up and everyone is waiting for him. He squirmed a little and squinted his eye lids, he couldn't wait to see what the nursery looked like and the cats around him.

Slowly, he opened his eyes, "hello Coalkit!" His mother greeted him. "You opened your eyes! Finally!" His brother mewed happily, Coalkit stared at his brother and could see his eyes were blue, 'what color are my eyes?' He pondered. "I told you it takes patience" their mother, Blackpool purred.

"I thought it was time, also who was that other voice?" Coalkit questioned, searching around the nursery of the sweet and daring voice he heard.

"It was me!"

Coalkit looked up to see a chocolate brown she-cat with a dark brown chest and paws and beautiful emerald eyes, "I'm Hazelkit, sorry if I woke you up, I hope you weren't sleeping but if you were I'm sorry! Also what do you think of the nursery? You should see the camp it's huge! In case you don't know we live in Ashclan and..."

'She talks a lot...' Coalkit thought to himself but smiled at her, so that's the voice he heard.

Suddenly, another voice came in.

"Blackpool, I got you some prey" a dark dusty brown tom with amber eyes spoke almost awkwardly and hesitant, Coalkit glanced at the tom and then back at his mother Blackpool who smiled weakly at him. "Thank you Russetclaw, and look," she pointed her tail towards Badgerkit and Coalkit "we have two handsome toms, Coalkit and Badgerkit, and Coalkit has your eyes!"

Russetclaw only gave them an unsteady look, "they look great... Good job Blackpool... um I need to go back on patrol..." Blackpool gave a frown "oh... okay, um see you later" Russetclaw only gave her a faint smile and left, twitching his tail a bit.

"Who was that?" Badgerkit asked, "that was your father Russetclaw, one of the greatest warriors in Ashclan".

"If he's so great then why did he look like he didn't like us?" Coalkit queried half joking making Blackpool giggle a little, "he's just going through some rough times my darlings, give him some time to warm up" she licked his cheek and sat up and wrapped her tail around her feet and yawned a little, "now I know you're both still a little young but I've decided to let you explore the camp".

Coalkit and Badgerkit's eyes lit up "really? You're going to let us out?" Badgerkit squeaked, wiggling his body a bit, "will you come with us?" Coalkit asked, but the black she-cat shook her head, "sorry little ones, lately I've been feeling sick and I don't want to pass it on to other cats". Hazelkit's eyes immediately lit up and she ran to them, she was only two months older than the two toms and she's explored camp before "I can give them a tour of the camp! Can I? Please!"

"We want to come too!" Seakit and Juniperkit, Hazelkit's sisters, mewed. "Now now you three, you can't all go, I don't think the senior warriors would appreciate all five of you to snoop in the warriors den but I think the elders wouldn't mind," Runningflight spoke up, she was the mother of the three sisters. A beautiful pale beige she-cat with unusual red stripes on her back.

"Since I volunteered first, I should give the tour! Especially since I know what the camp looks like plus we might meet Lionstar!" Hazelkit squealed.

"Runningflight, I'm sure you won't mind letting little miss chatterbox take my sons outside," Blackpool mewed, and the brothers gave a smile showing teeth. Runningflight only gave a sigh but then chuckled "how can I say no" this made the kits happy "I promise I'll keep a close eye on them Blackpool, I won't fail you!" Blackpool chuckled at the small brown kit and then replied "alright, but be careful".