"You have to contain yourself, you know you're on thin ice with your father after what happened."

"I got the necklace back, all is forgiven." I correct.

I'm starting to really feel the buzz now.

"In some shady way you're refusing to elaborate about."

"I told you it was with that creep I was set up with. Patrick? I knew he was weird that night I ditched him at the dinner."

"And why didn't you need my help?" He challenges like he doesn't believe me.

"Because after three days of isolation, I realize I don't need help from anyone."

I go to push past him but he grabs my bicep.

"You're supposed to be socializing tonight." He says to the side of my head.

"I have been!"

"And you reek of liquor." He whispers as I'm looking out at the crowded room behind him.

"I'm sure no man here will care about that." I roll my eyes.

He pulls me back in front of him so we're eye to eye again.

"I overheard your parents talking the other day. They're getting frustrated with you walking out on every single bachelor you've been set up with."

"And I'm sure there are many more contenders on their precious list."

"They want you to reproduce within the next year, Mariana. And if you don't pick someone soon, he'll pick someone for you."

I pause, staring up into his serious eyes that are only trying to warn me.

Reproduce? Am I some machine to them?

"They...want me to have a child...this soon?" I feel an anxious wave of heat roll through me, creating a storm with the alcohol.

He nods. "You need to start taking these social events seriously or you could be stuck with someone you hate for the rest of your life. There are a lot of contenders here tonight. For the love of god, take your pick."

I think I'm going to throw up.

I knew my parents felt this way, but I didn't think this would all happen so soon. Within a year they expect I be pregnant? That I give birth to further my father's sacred bloodline? This is just like how I was born, my father got my mother pregnant so soon on purpose. He only cares about his legacy, his blood.

"I...need to go to the restroom." I slowly feel all the vodka catching up to me.

"I'm not trying to scare you, I just thought you should know before it's too late." Zayn reiterates.

I push past him, my steps staggering by the second. Passing the dining area, my eyes land on open bottles of liquor. Spotting an empty table, I quickly snatch the glass neck of one and take it with me. I pace through to the restroom and hide inside one of the ten stalls. Closing the toilet lid, I sit down and place the bottle on the floor. My head whirls from the transition as I rest it in my hands, squeezing my eyes shut in mercy.

This can't be happening this soon.

I grab the bottle off the floor, bringing the spout to my mouth and tossing it back. Vodka again. The rich liquor pours down my throat, tasting not as strong when I'm already drunk.

The thought of bringing a child into this world this quick is making me sick to my stomach with the sloshing liquor. Not only that, but with someone my father just pairs me up with.