Chapter 5: Slow Recovery

Start from the beginning

"THIS ROOM IS BORING, SO YOU MUST BE BORED TOO! I THOUGHT I COULD READ YOU SOMETHING IF YOU'D LIKE!" He waved the book above his head as he said that and you couldn't help but laugh.

He was adorable.

"How can I say no to such a gracious offer? I accept of course, come here." You patted the space beside you and he didn't waste any time climbing back into the bed and plopping down.

He opened the book on the first page, scrunching his face at the letters. After a few seconds of silence he hesitantly read the first sentence.

"LONG LONG E-EGO!"

You chuckled softly and corrected him, to which he nodded and tried again. It went on like that for the first few minutes. He'd read a sentence and if he got any words wrong, you'd tell him the correct pronunciation. As the story progressed though, he started having trouble with more and more words, pausing and looking up at you without even trying to say some of them first.

Beforelong your roles switched around. You started to read instead, Papyrus snuggling to your shoulder, minding the wound on your side. The time seemed to flow faster thanks to this, your mind getting a chance to rest as you read some fairytale the kid brought with him. He soon began to fall asleep, his head lolling back, quiet snores filling the room.

You smiled down at the kid and closed the book, putting it on the nightstand before carefully getting your arm out from under him. Minding your freshly bandaged wound, you got up from the bed, turning around to pick him up. You can find his room, probably...

Before you could even take a step with Papyrus securely in your arms, the already familiar blue magic surrounded him. He didn't even seem to notice, content to keep on sleeping.

Looking up you unwrapped your arms from around the kid, Sans standing in the doorway and making Papyrus float over to him. He barely spared you a glance, giving you a short nod. Then, before you could answer, he walked out with his brother securely in his arms.

You chuckled and shook your head, turning around to get back into the bed, the wound starting to act up. You had a feeling that even if he didn't show it, Sans did appreciate you going along with what Papyrus wanted.

***

It didn't take long for a routine to form. There was only so much you could do when bedridden after all.

Every morning, you'd wake up to a plate of whatever food was made that day, along with a change of fresh clothes. Gaster would either usually already be there too, writing something down in that clipboard of his, or come in a mere minutes later. He'd check on your wounds, change the bandages if need be and then be off to what you assumed was work. He must leave someone with the kids though, because not too soon after he's gone, you could hear a resonant voice downstairs that would disappear as soon as he's back.

Once Dr. Gaster was home he'd check up on your wound again and then leave you be to make dinner. It would give you around an hour of time that you'd spend with your wings out. They cannot be hidden for too long, it becomes painful to an unbearable degree, so even an hour a day is better than nothing. Later on, some light exercises would join that, once your wound was not at a constant threat of opening up again.

Papyrus would always be the one to bring you dinner afterwards, along with a book he'd like to be read to him on this particular day. You'd never say no to him of course, so every evening he'd snuggle to you, placing his head on your shoulder, while you narrated the story to the best of your ability. His giggles at the funny voices, or little gasps at dramatic moments made looking like a fool absolutely worth it.

It wouldn't take long for Papyrus to fall asleep on you and mere moments later Sans would be there to pick him up and take him to his room to sleep. Unlike his younger brother, he didn't speak at all, at least not towards you, his posture always tense whenever he was in your room to watch over the kid. Whether it was his father's -or someone else's'- stigma rubbing off on him, or distrust towards humans that he grew on his own, it was clear he was only tolerating you because of Papyrus. You couldn't really blame him though. It was probably very well known what happened during the war and why the monsters ended up locked underground with no way out.

Even so, a small, albeit fragile, bond was being created between you two as he'd give you a nod in thanks every time you got the youngest skeleton to fall asleep with you. It might not be trust yet, but it's a start.