Chapter 2: The first day

Start from the beginning

-"The main door!"—Mikey said with a smile—"I'll meet you guys there and then we can head back together."

Mikey's last sentence was interrupted by the bell that signaled 7:50 am.

-"Damn! I must get to class..."

-"Wait, Mikey!"—Grace called.

Mikey stopped on his tracks and turned around to face Grace, who gave him a tight hug and a smooch on his forehead.

-"Have a great first day, ok? Stay out of trouble..."

-"Grace, you don't have to worry, I'll be fine!"—Mikey said, giving Grace a kiss on the cheek—"Bye guys, I'll be seeing ya! Maybe I'll see you in one of my classes, Alexis?"

-"Y-Yeah!"—Alexis stammered—"Yeah that would be fun!"

-"Good luck with the papers!"

Mikey turned his back on them and left running towards the main gate, were kids of all ages were heading into, while the rest of them headed into the lobby. As they walked a few steps behind Grace, Connor took a smirking glance at Alexis and asked in a whisper.

-"That would be fun?"—Connor asked, mocking the young girl—"What was that supposed to mean, Al?"

-"S-Shut up, Con! I just didn't know what to say..."

-"Yeah, yeah... You're socially awkward as they come, Al."

And it was true, Alexis always had some trouble dealing with people. She had been that way since the day she and Connor met, and probably all her life before that, too. One of the many side effects of being a child in foster care, probably. She hated it, but Connor found it quite endearing, and he also loved mocking her from time to time.

The school's secretary, a woman in her early thirties with large round glasses, a top hair bun and a sharp tongue, was having a phone conversation when Connor, Alexis and Grace arrived at the principal's office. She seemed quite entertained, because she wasn't making any effort to drop it and pay attention to Grace, who was already sat in front of her desk with an awkward smile and the time on the run to get to her job. Connor and Alexis sat at each of her sides, neither of them really amused with the warm welcome.

-"And I told her that there was no way we could get that form for Friday! And yet, she insisted—isn't she unbelievable?"—the secretary said, avoiding eye contact with Grace and taking notes on a notebook—"I keep telling Mrs. Hart that we need to change her as head counselor, but then again, she never listens to me..."

Grace however was running short on time, and Connor assumed that he was supposed to get to class eventually.

-"Ehm... excuse me...?"

-"One second ma'am, it's a quick phone call."

Grace's shocked expression was worth the look at. Alexis' was as well, but it was Connor's face of disbelief that won the grand prize. And so did his sharp tongue.

-"Lady, I don't know if you've noticed, but you are keeping us all waiting with your gossiping, so cut the crap?"

Now it was the receptionist's turn to have the most shocked expression in the room. Alexis snorted under her breath, but Grace looked at Connor like he had just insulted the pope. Connor remained serene, quite indifferent from all the stares.

-"I'll call you back."—said the receptionist, hanging her phone and then typing something on her computer before addressing Grace—"Ms. Helbig, I see you have come here to sign the forms?"

-"Yes, if it's possible I'd like meet Principal Hart to have it done as soon as possible, please."—Grace replied with a winning awkward smile.

-"Unfortunately Mrs. Hart isn't available right now, she is attending an important meeting."—the secretary said, typing on her keyboard—"However the forms are ready; if you please..."