Chapter 28 - Natural Interactions

Start from the beginning

"How so?"

"You know how she is dating that Dutch player, Danielle Van De Donk?" I said, prompting Sam's memory which was nearly as bad as mine.

"Yes, I think so," Sam responded.

"Well, she came over to watch her play in the Euros and then we met up. It was all so awkward and strange at first, and then it felt like we went back to the old Tippah and Ellie."

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Like it turned all normal. I felt like I was 18 again, living my life with her. It just felt-"

"Natural?" Sam prompted.

"Yeah, natural."

"I wouldn't read too much into that," Sam then said, surprising me slightly.

"Really?"

"Well, I mean, think about it. You were with her for what? Eight years? You're going to have chemistry. You're going to flow. It's going to feel natural. But that doesn't mean its always right. I mean, I'm sure that if I saw one of my exes, and started chatting with them for a while, it would feel like old times, because there was a life that you once shared together, you know?" That made sense. Sam actually made sense.

"Girl, who are you and what have you done with Sam Kerr?" I joked, kicking her softly.

"What can I say? Just cause I was 'asked to leave' school, doesn't mean I ain't smart as fuck," she joked.

"Guess what?" I said to her.

"What?"

"The airplane... no more turbulence." Sam smiled, a grin of relief printing across her face.

"I will go and sleep," she then proclaimed. "Wake me up when we're in Dubai." I laughed softly, and she headed back across the aisle. I thought, more closely, about what she said. I knew it wasn't normal what Ellie and I did or did not do that night, and I tried so hard to push whatever it was to the back of my mind. However, Sam made a point. There was a reason why it felt natural that was beyond me still having feelings of any sort for her. It was natural because of history, not because of the present.

We had a quick layover in Dubai, before flying into Sydney. We waited for a few hours, for the rest of the England girls to come in (Mary, Alanna, Hayley, Caitlin, Steph, and Macca) before getting on our domestic flight up to Brisbane.

Once we had arrived, we relished outside, on the rooftop, soaking up the sun and swimming in the water.

"Holy fuck I've missed this," I said, laying beside Caitlin.

"This is the best feeling ever," she responded.

"Found your passport?" I asked her, laughing.

"I blame Lia!" she exclaimed.

"How can you blame Wally?" I responded.

"Well, with all her cleaning, she moved the important shit drawer without telling me. Then she was on a plane and I couldn't reach her and-"

"So basically you weren't paying attention when Lia was cleaning your guys' house?" I said.

"Maybe..." she responded, smiling.

"Then the fault is not Lia's then..." I prompted.

"Fine, maybe it is mine, but, you know, it's easier to blame her." I laughed at Caitlin before retreating to the music that blasted through my ears.

Over the next few days, we trained preparing for our games against Canada. They were a good team, having won the gold in Tokyo, but we had belief, more so than ever before. Although we were without Ellie, I had good confidence. We could do it. The girls could do it.

right where you left meOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara