35 | until it wasn't

Rashad "June" Lockhart jr
Saturday, April 8 | 3:45 p.m.
The Jones Residence

-

"What?" Mack's tone matches everyone else's expression: complete shock. I take half a step back, my mind reeling at the new information. In all the months that Kasey has talked about that fateful night, he's never once mentioned that the unnamed getaway driver was a woman.

"The night that nigga ran off on me, she was the one behind the wheel." He clarifies, swiveling his head around. "And she prolly got half of my money too."

"I was only doing what Farad told me to do! I didn't even know what was going on." Tears that seem to be sincere stream down Gabriella's face, forcing her younger sister to wrap a protective arm around her shoulder. "And he didn't give me shit so let that go."

Giselle's eyes shift back and forth before ultimately going wide in realization. "Is this who you've been paranoid about this whole time?"

"Why the fuck would I believe anything that you say?" Kasey spits into the grass and shuffles forward. I act quickly, placing myself between him and the two women. "Rashad, move out the way. I'm not worried about yo lil' girlfriend."

"You need to leave." I look into the bright sky for a split second before returning to the faded green to yellowish bruises littered across Kasey's skin. Malia's accusations against him turned out to be true enough for her brothers to pay him a visit a couple of weeks ago. I guess it still didn't teach him anything about charging at women.

"Yeah, I can't lie, man." Tyreek blows his breath, sparing a single glance back at his wife and children. "I agree. You're doing way too much in front on my family. And threatening another woman just ain't the way to go. I'm running out of hope for you, dog."

"Oh...okay." Kasey bitterly laughs, scanning the people around him incredulously. "I see what's really going on. That's why everybody been so distant lately, huh? Especially this weak ass nigga standing in front of me."

He pulls his firearm from his waistband, settling his hard gaze back onto mine. "I really never thought that you'd be the one to switch up on me, Rashad. Especially over a bitch that's not even yours. Get the fuck out of my way."

Whispers sound all around us as Tyreek and Vanessa's relatives behold the weapon. Many parents scoop their children up and scurry away. The residents of the neighboring houses in the cul-de-sac have all gathered on their porches, concern written across each and every one of their features.

Mack sucks his teeth, ushering Kyler and Nadirah behind him. "Kasey, put that thing up man. It's way too many kids around here. This the type of shit you pull on yo' brother?"

"Yeah, Kasey." Dex chimes in. "You're taking things way too far. We can all talk about it later."

"Aye, shut the fuck up. Both of y'all!" He snaps. "This nigga think he tough so let him play hero. It ain't nothing for me to remind 'em who I am."

"Relax y'all. It's all good." I shrug indifferently. "This is the only way he can knock me down. He need it—"

"I don't need it for shit." Kasey scoffs. "I just like the way niggas suddenly remember themselves when that iron gets hot."

He raises the loaded gun and I slap his hand down before it reaches my head, shifting the barrel towards the grass. A struggle commences between the two of us that has our audience scattering even more. I hear cars skirting away and people cursing as they duck.