4- Lost and alone

Gray listened attentively as Katie told him her story. The rain outside the tree hole intensified, as if sympathizing with the sadness in her voice.

"Actually... my mom," said Katie, her voice soft and trembling, "my mom died when she brought me into this world. It's my dad that raised me. We used to live a beautiful and happy life every day. Until... A few years ago. That night, my dad wanted to go out to find food. Normally I would go with him, but because it was raining, he asked me to wait for him in this tree hole. It's small and cozy, just enough to shelter us from the elements. I waited there for a long time, the darkness outside becoming more and more daunting with each passing moment. But my dad still didn't come back. I was getting worried, so I decided to go out and find him. I searched for a long time, and finally I found him under the Grand Canyon. He died. He must have fallen... I was devastated. He was my only family and I lost him..."

Katie's voice trailed off as she remembered that terrible night. Gray could sense the weight of her grief.

I lay next to my father's lifeless body for what felt like an eternity, my tears mixing with the rain. The night stretched on, and my hope began to wane. I was cold, hungry, and exhausted, but I couldn't bring myself to leave his side. I don't know how much time passed, but eventually, I succumbed to my weariness and closed my eyes.

When I woke up, I was inside a small, cozy house. I was lying on a soft carpet, covered with a warm quilt. A human was sitting next to me, his kind eyes watching over me. He introduced himself as a doctor and told me that he had found me lying unconscious in the rain. He had tended to my injuries and nursed me back to health.

I was surprised and grateful to learn that he was willing to take me in and care for me, especially since I had lost both of my parents. Over time, he became more than just my caregiver; he became a mentor and a friend. He taught me how to read and write in human language, and most importantly, he taught me the basics of medicine. I learned how to treat injured and sick animals, and even helped him with some of his human patients. Living with him was the happiest time of my life, and I cherished every moment we spent together. We took care of each other.

Gray could imagine Katie's life with her owner, how they would take care of each other and share their knowledge. It sounded like a peaceful life.

"Everything was fine until yesterday..." Katie's voice quivered as she spoke.

"What happened yesterday?" Gray asked, his heart pounding in anticipation.

"Yesterday... While my owner and I were resting, a hunter knocked on the door. He... he said he would not let me live here because I am a wolf. He asked my owner to hand me over. Of course he didn't do that, he let me escape through the back door. The hunter then broke the front door. When he saw I was not there, he pointed his gun at my owner and captured him, locking the door as he went. So now, I can't go home because I can't get in, and I can't stay in the town, because there may be more hunters. So I decided to go to the forest and try to find the tree hole. After a long time of searching, I finally found this hole. I...," a tear rolled down Katie's cheek, "I lost everything, my mom, my dad, even my owner. I have no family, and no friends..."

Gray's heart went out to Katie as she wept. He slowly walked to her side, his steps careful and quiet. "Katie," he said, his voice steady and resolute. "I know we just met, but I want you to know that you don't have to go through this alone. I can be your friend, and I'll always be here for you."

The rain slowed and then finally stopped, leaving the forest quiet and still. As the world seemed to hold its breath for a moment, waiting for Katie's response, Gray didn't push her. He understood that she needed time to process everything that had happened, so he simply sat down beside her and offered a quiet presence. After a while, Gray's thoughts drifted to the sudden change in weather. The rain had stopped and the forest was now filled with sunlight, reminding him that even in the darkest of moments, there is always a glimmer of light.