Chapter 4: Broken Promises

"Keith, Hi!" Carey said once she saw her boyfriend at the door. "I'm about to the store with Zack, I'll be back in around 30 minutes or so if that works with you," she said.

"Oh no, that's okay; I was going to hang out with the Codester  tonight of that's okay with you," Keith said before leaning in to whisper to Carey. 

"I need my bragging rights in Tony Hawk: Pro Skater," he said with a wink.

"Oh, oh, alright." Carey said with a smile. She turned to Cody who was still at the table.

"Hey Cody, are you okay with staying here with Keith for a few while we run to the store?" She asked. Keith eyed him down.

"Uh, I mean, I can go with you guys to the store too if you want," Cody began. Keith walked up behind Cody and picked him up and threw him over his shoulder playfully.

"Come on, it'll be fun!" Keith said playfully, trying to sell the act to Carey.

"Yeah Cody, plus someone has to be here to take the brownies out in 15. We'll be just around the corner." Carey said reassuringly. Keith set him down.

"O-Okay." Cody said. He looked at his brother with worried eyes. He hoped he would notice; he did. 

"Hey Cody, I can go to the store with Mom another time if you want," Zack said.

"No, no; you guys go!" Keith said instantly. Carey shrugged it off and looked at her oldest son.

"Alright then let's go; they close soon." Carey said. Zack sighed and walked out the door with Carey. 

"Bye, guys," Cody said before the door closed. Once he heard the door lock from the key outside, Cody turned around to find Keith right behind him. 

"You know Cody, I thought we had an understanding." Keith said coldly. He went over to the sink and took a pill of some sort before having a glass of water. 

"W-What do you mean?" Cody asked. Keith turned back around and faced him.

"I thought we agreed on we don't tell anyone anything. That  was our promise." Keith said, approaching the blonde boy.

"I didn't!" Cody exclaimed. 

"You know Cody, I never took you as someone that tells lies." Keith uttered. His pupils were dilating by the minute. Cody's heart dropped.

"I'm not ly—"

Cody was cut off by Keith shoving him hard in the chest. Cody fell back and hit his head on the arm of the couch before sinking to the floor.

"You know lying isn't a good thing to do, Cody." Keith said. He walked over to the kid laying on the floor in front of him and picked him up by his shirt collar.

"Now, you're gonna do as I say—for real this time. Otherwise there will be consequences." Keith said with no emotion. 

"What.... what have I done wrong to you k-keith?" Cody asked weakly.

"You've done nothing wrong Cody. I could never be mad at you; just a little disappointed." He replied. Cody had no words. Keith then pulled him over to the couch and let go of him. 

"Sit down." Keith ordered.

"o-okay." Cody said as he sat down on the couch.

"Since you want to tell your brother we were playing this dumb game, turn it on."

"the s-skating game?"

"That's the one you told him right? Please don't make me repeat myself Cody." Keith said. Cody put the game in the system and turned the TV on. While it was loading he turned back around to stand and face Keith.