CHAPTER 15『PALACE』

Start from the beginning

She has funded the construction of many orphanages, churches, schools, and generally the cause of the Empire. Whenever the people are unable to pay their taxes, she comes to help, donating a part of her personal wealth to the Empire.

Augustina Palatina Bernadotte. Mother was an idol to me once. But I ditched her for an idol far ahead of herself: myself. She may be donating to charity, but I'm helping weeding out the enemies of the Empire here! And I believe that's way greater than her "noble" cause, merely a hypocrisy to raise the popularity of the Imperial Family.

Suddenly, I heard a pattern of footsteps that isn't normally strolling around these ends. Eventually, good news. The leader of my bodyguard unit, and also my boyfriend, Lucius Aemilius Caelo, entered the room.

He was tall, handsome, and the reason why my sister was exiled in the first place. He falsely testified against her, following my scandal with him.

He was one dirty boy, flirting with me when he already had Vespertite. This clearly proves my superiority as a woman.

Lucius bowed down at my Father, excused himself, and came next to me, whispering to my ear.

"Dear, your sister...proves to be a constant thorn to our side."

"What?!"

The entire table looked at us, as I shouted at the top of my lungs.

"Ahah, sorry. I guess I got too...excited...hehe..."

The table let out a surprised laughter, seeing as the cause of my shout wasn't anything serious.

I excused myself, and walked alongside Lucius.

"What do you mean?"I said, as the servants opened the doors for us to leave the dining room.

"I mean that the Headmaster failed, Aristea. But don't get mad. Next time, I'll handle i-"

"Wait, what? You mean that Vespertite...is still alive?!"

"Shh, don't get angry, please. You're ruining your pretty face..."

He shot me a smile. His black hair was beautiful, and his eyes, the colour of the night sky. He was so pretty, his beauty made me almost forget about Vespertite.

"You mean that..."

"Yes. The dude the Headmaster sent with the troops to kill her has failed."

"Tell me, Lucius. How can one fucking person lay waste on an entire army, and also kill the most prominent student at the Odeon?"

I was nearly there, nearly there for a nervous breakdown. How. Again, Vespertite slips past my grasp.

"Oh, she didn't. They disobeyed your orders and aligned themselves with her instead."

That's it, I'm killing her myself.

"She did WHAT?! But that's even WORSE than killing the entire army!"

"I know, Aristea, I know, but we cannot do anything right now. I heard the Emperor has sent her a message via mail. So let's wait, patiently."

I just stood there, in a corner, hearing the news of another one of my defeats.

I rubbed my chin in annoyance and clicked my tongue.

At least I took my medication, otherwise I would have probably killed my poor boyfriend. I have anger issues. Princesses have it hard too, you know?

He looked at me, and just smiled.

"A goodbye kiss, maybe? To make you feel better?"

I looked at him in the eye, definitely not in the mood.