i fall apart

The first thing you did was shove JJ into the shower. The next was handling getting the electricity back on since clearly your father wasn't concerned with doing that. You were fine with not tagging along with their treasure hunting, but you were worried about your brother. He loved your dad, adored him for so much of his life, and it concerned you that he wouldn't see what a pawn he was in your dad's plans.

You had told JJ as much as you sat in the bathroom on the floor while he showered. You told him about Singh's place, about Rafe, and how your dad sent you guys on a goose chase for a rock. JJ couldn't say he was surprised about any of it, but he was just glad to be back with you.

Soon enough, Sarah and Kie were on your doorstep, the four of you crowding out by the dock to get the last of the warm sun on you before turning in for the night.

"I went back to grab clothes and a phone, and you're not gonna believe this," Sarah started as she sat down next to you. "Rafe is back. I saw him at the house. I don't think he saw me, but I think the cross is coming back to Wilmington tomorrow night."

You sat up from where you were leaning against JJ's chest to face her. "What?"

"Does Pope know?" Kie asked.

Sarah shook her head. "No, I was gonna tell him when I found you guys."

"He can't, he's on lockdown." You expected everyone to take some time away and connect with their families before coming back to figure out the next steps.

Sarah sighed, "Okay, well. Kie and I can hit up Pope and you guys tell John B when you see him?"

"Yeah, yeah. Of course." You gave them both a small smile as they said their goodbyes and walked back up the dock.

You and JJ sat silently, taking in the warmth on your skin before the sun disappeared for the night. You really wished your brother would come home or at least check in to make sure he was okay. Sarah had found a spare iPhone charger to give you for the phone you guys had taken from Barbados. You made sure any tracking services were off so Singh couldn't try and chase you down.

"Well if the cross is coming back, it's still on the field. We're still in this, we can come in and swoop. We gotta get everybody together and come up with a plan," JJ rattled off as his fingers tapped excitedly against your thighs.

You took a deep breath and grabbed JJ's hands to hold in your own. You were thankful for the last chance opportunity to get the cross back, but you didn't want to risk running into Rafe or getting your friends into the line of trouble again.

"Talk to me," JJ held out the word, swinging your hands back and forth before wrapping around your waist tightly to hold you. "C'mon."

A small smile formed on your face, so grateful for a boy who could read you so easily, who could love you so easily. You laughed as he left wet kisses against your shoulders into the curve of your neck to get you to talk. "Okay, okay." He pressed one more to your temple for good measure. "I'm just worried about John B. That's all."

"He's with your dad, Y/N. I'm sure he's perfectly fine."

You kept your grip on JJ's hand and brought it up to your lips to kiss the back of it. "That's exactly why I'm worried about him. My dad is way too deep in this treasure hunt to realize he's putting his own kids at risk, and John B will just let him because he doesn't want to disappoint him."

"He didn't seem too upset when you said you didn't wanna go," JJ tried to reason.

You shook your head. "That's because he doesn't have any disappointment left when it comes to me. I know he doesn't care if I'm there or not. That's how it's always been. Him and John B against the world. I was just the backup piece." You took a deep, shaky breath. "Your dad takes the prize for Shittiest Dad but I think mine might be a close second."