revelations

Hushed whispers were hard to avoid while you moved from table to table at the Wreck. Sure, you had grown used to avoiding the negative comments as best as possible, but Ward Cameron was dead and the island was reeling over it. You knew the whole story wasn't out yet but it was soon to come, that wasn't hard to miss. School was the same, rushed whispers and odd looks in the hall that had you hiding behind the boys more than ever.

You were doing your best to keep everything together but it was hard to get back on your feet after being torn down for so long. You could tell the Pogues were doing their best to get you and John B back into commission. Kie was pulling you out of bed most days, especially keeping you together at work. JJ held you at night, never questioning your tears. Pope was tiptoeing a little bit, but you appreciated his simple actions like packing lunch for you to take to work, or the sudden upkeep in your favorite snacks. You friends were pulling together when you needed them and for that, you'd be forever grateful.

Pope had been given permission to Denmark's diary that was recovered which continued to give your group clues as to where to go next. The warm afternoon air danced across the porch as you lounged across the couch with your feet in Kie's lap. The beer in your hand was empty and you didn't question where they had suddenly appeared from.

"This diary proves that both the gold and the Cross of Santo Domingo were on the Royal Merchant," Pope discovered as he handed the diary over to Kie.

"Why didn't we find it in the well then?" JJ asked as he flipped his lighter between his fingers before rolling over to face you guys. "I mean, if Denmark was able to get this, like, bedazzled cross off of the merchant to shore, why didn't he just hide it with the gold?"

"Because it was too big," You offered as you reached up to grab the lighter from the boy's fingers to hold in your own.

Pope nodded in agreement. "He had to hide it someplace else. Right before he was hung, Denmark Tanny said he buried the treasure at the foot of the angel."

John B, Kie, and Pope delved into more questions that didn't really have answers. You zoned out, watching the silver metal in your hand move with your wishes, a bright flame flickering now and then as a distraction. JJ must've gotten bored with it before he hopped up and interrupted the conversation. "You know what always helps me figure shit out? Smoking beers and drinking weed. The ideas just pour out of me. If we just sit here, and try to figure this out, we're gonna get nowhere. But if we get creative and go to this bonfire tonight, maybe we'll get somewhere."

"Well, I just got disowned by my parents, and I'm an official member of the I-have-nothing-to-lose club."

"Pope?" The two boys had a mini staring competition before JJ was rushing to explain his idea further. "Look, look. Think about how much you could think if you just gave your brain a rest."

Pope hesitated for a moment as the trio listened in eager anticipation. "Okay, fine." Excited bursts followed his statement before all eyes fell on you.

With a groan, you shifted to lay on your side so you could see them. "I don't know guys."

Kie tapped your legs anxiously. "Come on, Y/N! It'll be fun! We can just have a few drinks, chill on the beach. It'll be a nice, easy evening."

"Yeah but the Kooks are gonna be there," You whined as you pouted slightly. "That's mood killer enough."

"Come on babe," JJ pleaded as he stood directly above you, finger poking your nose gently. "You know you want to."

You kept eye contact with him for a second and truly pondered the option. You knew you wouldn't be able to tell them no, but as hard as you tried to get yourself out of the rut you were in, it was proving difficult. You knew going into a crowd wouldn't help that feeling go away, but you also didn't want to disappoint them.