high tides

Once everyone was piled into the van, Pope was quick to call out directions with his map in his hand. Apparently, they had figured out the spot where the cross supposedly was hidden and that's where you were heading. Pope noted a few important spots related to Denmark Tanny's history along the way until you guys were pretty deep in the woods.

"Oh shit, the tide's coming in," JJ pointed out as John B came to a stop. The road in front of you was beginning to puddle with water but the tire marks were still visible from previous drivers.

"Look, they already came through here," Pope pointed out as he poked his head between the two front seats. "Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go.

JJ looked at your brother from his spot in the passenger seat. "Mmm, what do you think, chief?"

John B hissed between his teeth, taking the opportunity to survey the path in front of him. "I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey."

"Yep, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement."

"Okay, well clearly they made it, no?" Kie asked the duo, impatient with their indecisiveness.

"In a two-wheel drive? I don't know about that."

Sarah smiled softly as she sat up a little straighter to see the road for herself. "Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways? Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

JJ and John B glanced at her for a moment before looking at each other with a point of recognition and agreeing with each other.

"Alright, speed is your friend here, okay? So put her down in second, and hammer down, brother."

"Oh for fucks sake," You mumbled as you pressed your back against the bench seat and planted your feet firmly so you wouldn't slide. Sarah copied your movements, the two of you grabbing hands again before laughing at the situation and how ironic all of it was.

John B gave a countdown before starting to speed up. JJ, Pope, and Kie were already yelling directions at him which he was clearly ignoring, even shoving Pope's head back from the console area so he could focus at one point. The second the tires had traction again, you let out a sigh of relief and released Sarah's hand. John B continued to drive for a little bit before coming to a stop so you could all climb out.

"Alright so, word to the wise, definitely know that gators nest back here so keep your eyes peeled, okay?" JJ explained as you all piled out. "You definitely don't wanna step on a mama gator. That's the last thing you want."

Sarah laughed, "Seems like a good place to park."

JJ and Kie went back and forth about someone they knew apparently being bitten by a gator, which you tuned out as you followed along. JJ eventually crouched down by the edge of the water before smacking the surface with the large stick he was carrying around.

"Right wake them up, babe. That's smart," You scoffed and shook your head at his antics.

"I was just making sure it wasn't a gator. That's all." He started forward along the path with Pope and Kie next before you filtered in with Sarah and John B following up the end. Once you got closer to the Angel Oak tree Pope was looking for, you could hear the whir of an engine. Peeking over the bushes, you caught site of some construction equipment with a couple of people scattered around.

"I don't see shit! You sure this is the right spot?" The voice sent chills throughout your body as you looked around JJ's shoulder to see Rafe walking alongside Limbrey's partner. JJ's arm wrapped around your waist before you could even say a word, his other arm coming to wrap across your chest in a bear hug in an attempt to help you stay calm.