reunion

The noise of an airplane propeller shook you from your sleep. Ever since you touched this island, you were sensitive to every little sound or movement. Sitting up sharply, you looked to see Pope doing the same. The two of you were quick to catch sight of the plane dancing in the clouds and started shaking friends awake.

"Guys, plane. Plane!" Shaking JJ's shoulder aggressively, you collected your ratty shoes from the sand and ran towards the shoreline.

Taking a look back, you could see the uncertain expression on JJ's face. In the time you all had spent on the island, he had made it abundantly clear that he didn't want to leave. This was JJ's element, his safe space. He was with you, his family, and they were making things work with scraps. This was the Full Pogue experience he had always dreamed of.

"Hey! We're down here!" John B was suddenly next to you and waving his arms aggressively to draw any ounce of attention to your group. Pope and Cleo took off up the field to light a fire in hopes that the pilot would see.

A defeated sigh left your lips as the plane looked like it would continue on before making a last-minute change and turning.

"Guys, guys. He sees us!" Kie shook your arm in excitement.

"He's gonna go to the pond. Come on, come on!" Your brother slung his shoestrings over his shoulders and grabbed Sarah's hand to tug her along up the hill.

JJ caught up to your side as you guys jogged behind your friends. You could tell he was displeased. You tried to understand why he would feel this way, but part of you just wanted to go home. Watching the aircraft make a successful landing, your boyfriend let out a sigh.

"Come on." His fingers were rough as they intertwined with your own. You squeezed, trying to give him some sort of comfort about the idea as you caught up with everyone.

The stairs of the cockpit lowered just above the water as a middle-aged man climbed out. He was quick to join in on the noises of celebration coming from Cleo, Pope, and John B. "Well, what do we got here?"

John B glanced back at your group before responding. "You know, just some castaways."

"Well, I'll cross that off my grocery list. Uh, hang on! I got just the thing for y'all." He disappeared back into the plane for a moment. "Two things you need on a deserted island: first aid and rum!"

The bottle splashed in front of Sarah's feet. She seemed distraught at the sight in front of her, no doubt fearing that her father may be involved in some way. You didn't blame her. The constant feeling that you need to look over your shoulder was exhausting, but you were hoping it would change.

"So, what's the story? You guys sank a boat?"

"Jumped off one," You replied, watching as Sarah bent down to grab the alcohol out of the water. For some reason, you weren't as hesitant to get out of here as you probably should've been. After a month or so of living like this, you would take the Chateau back in a heartbeat.

The pilot chuckled. "Well, have no fear. Jimmy's here. I got you."

Cleo cheered and threw her hands in the air. "Well, all hail Jimmy, guys! Let's go."

The pilot, Jimmy, welcomed you all as John B led the way into the plane. Kie gave you and JJ a look before following wordlessly. It seemed a little too good, but who were you to say anything?

You turned to JJ, taking the chance to check-in. "You okay?" Your hand rested on his collarbone, thumb tracing his jawline as you observed him. His whole body was tense; the fun demeanor you'd witnessed after cliff jumping yesterday disappeared without a trace. JJ's expression was sharp when he made eye contact with you. Thrown off guard, you frowned and dropped your hands to your side.