[1]

Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody

Mark Twain

-

-

-

Percy gasped as he woke up from his nightmare. He tucked his knees into his chest and gasped in deep breaths as he tried to shake the vision from his head. It wasn't real, it wasn't real, it wasn't real, he chanted to himself, trying to convince his own mind that it was all a dream, and just a dream.

But even as he thought these words, he could sense something stirring within him; it was like somebody injected a dark force into his mind and was slowly becoming him.

And that scared him. He was terrified of what he was to become. His mind went back to what Erebus had said to him. Something about him having way too much purity? Also how Erebus couldn't reach into his mind and heart because Erebus' domain--darkness--didn't exist there.

Was that a compliment?

But then what he did after...

Percy grasped his chest as he realized what Erebus had done.

"NO! No, no, no, no..." he trailed off as he closed his eyes and tears up. He couldn't bear the thought of turning his back on all of his friends and family; it couldn't happen!

I see you've realized what the dream means, am I right, Perseus? Erebus taunted. Percy didn't reply--he couldn't. Aw, is the great and mighty hero scared? Erebus cooed in a bittersweet voice. No, no, no. I am not scared. I'm Percy Jackson and I can fight past this, I won't let it win.

Oh, Perseus, it already has.

~*~

"Percy! Come on, it's breakfast time! Wake up!" Nico shouted at Percy.

"No...I'm not hungry," he groaned out.

Nico stepped back. "Wait, what? You're always hungry in the morning, Percy! What's wrong?" he demanded.

"Nothing, 'm just tired," Percy grumbled-the dream is clearly on his mind. "Alright then, Jackson. What was your dream about?"

"Wait, how did you know?" Percy shot up in his bed.

"Aha! I'm right!" Nico smiled. Percy scowled and went back under the covers.

"Percy, I'm just worried about you," Nico mumbled. One part of Percy pushed to apologize, but it felt like there was a dam blocking the action.

"I don't need your worrying," he snapped instead. Nico stepped back a little more, and his face displayed an upset frown.

"Percy, did something happen? You're acting weird," Nico asked with genuine concern lacing his voice.

"I'm fine," Percy growled out curtly, "I don't need your help, nor anybody else's." He got up and grabbed a shirt to put on.

"Percy,  you know better than to say that to the one person you know that has been saying that their entire life," Nico half-joked, but his eyes betrayed his concern. Percy didn't answer, but sent him a "could-you-please-kindly-go-to-Tartarus-and-stop-bothering-me" look before walking out--after pulling on some pants, of course.

Percy couldn't explain it, but he was angry at everything. He kept his head down and avoided talking to anybody. If anybody walked near him, he automatically inched away from them and continued on his way to the dining pavilion.