twenty six

January 12th, 2024

"Tay?" I heard Joe's voice as his footsteps grew closer, "oh this should've been the first place I looked for you." Joe smiled as he found me sitting in the cream coloured rocking chair in our babys room. My hands were resting on my 38 week bump, rubbing it to try to relieve some of the pressure that had built up in the past few weeks.

"How are you feeling today?"

"I'm sick of being pregnant, I can't wait to meet him." I smiled as I felt a small kick.

"I can't believe how fast this has gone. At the same though it feels like we've been waiting forever to meet him." Joe said, reaching for my hands to pull me up off the chair. He placed a hand on my belly and gently rubbed it.

"He's been kicking a lot today so if you leave your hand there for a minute you'll probably feel it." I smiled, placing my hand on top of Joe's.

We stood patiently waiting, moving our hands together in sync over my bump. Baby boy seemed to like it whenever I rubbed my belly, so hopefully that would get him to kick a little.

I suddenly let out a small gasp followed by a few deep breaths.

"Are you okay? What was that?" Joe asked as he began to panic.

"He just kicked really hard that's all." I smiled as I continued to move Joes hand around my belly.

"Really? I didn't feel anything.." Joe slightly frowned.

"Yeah cause he kicked me in the ribs." I let out a small laugh, then sighed.

"I'm sorry love... there's not too much longer left." Joe said as he took his hands off my bump to straighten up a picture frame that was sitting on the dresser.

We finished his room a few days ago, and I've spent almost every day in here just admiring all the small details. The picture frame had the most recent ultrasound photo in it, and you could really see the side profile of this little baby boy, and it's perfect. He has the cutest little nose and I can't get over his perfect little lips. There was also another picture frame with a photo of Joe and a very pregnant me that we took a few weeks ago.

We had also completely filled his dresser and closet with a bunch of baby clothes. Probably too many, but you can never have too many right? From what I've heard, you end up changing a newborns outfit multiple times a day, so he needs to have options.

"I'm gonna make some lunch, I was thinking about pancakes, does that sound good?" Joe asked.

"Pancakes for lunch?" I laughed.

"Well you've been craving them a lot recently, so why not?" Joe shrugged.

"You're the best." I smiled.

"Chocolate chip or blueberry?"

"Always blueberry."

Joe smiled and gave me a thumbs up, then headed downstairs to start making them.

I don't know how I managed to find someone like him. He's everything I could possibly want and more. He's perfect, and he really makes me feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

I started to head slowly downstairs. I waddled down the stairs, one at a time, holding my belly as if that would help my balance, but it didn't really. It's a lot harder to walk down a flight of stairs without being able to see your feet then you'd think it is.

By the time I got to the bottom I was exhausted. After taking a minute to catch my breath, I waddled my slow moving body to the kitchen.

"Ahh" I complained to myself, slightly wincing.