Chapter Twenty-Four

"Feels like I missed a lot today," Steve sighed as they went a few feet further down the hall to not have her eavesdrop.

Bucky had been giving him a rundown through text when he could during the day, but he gave him all the details in person now.

"You missed everything," Bucky ran a hand through his hair with his arms crossed tightly across his chest. "It feels like everything that's brought us to this point is minimal compared to everything that came up in the last 24 hours."

"How is she doing?" he questioned, looking in the direction of the room.

"I think it's a lot on her shoulders right now," Bucky answered honestly, looking at the same door. "I think she hasn't had a fraction of the time she needs to process it all, and with how fast everything has happened, she doesn't think she'll ever have the time to catch up."

"Something like this isn't figured out in a day like it may need to be," Steve agreed. "Maybe we'll be graced with the time to get it all sorted before a big fight breaks out, or maybe we're already behind."

Bucky turned to his friend seeing genuine dismay on his face. He didn't like that his comment was true, but it needed to be voiced either way.

"You think something else is going to happen before we can prepare?" Bucky asked.

"I think with the track record that her enemies have created so far, we may have a day or two before they send their next agent in, but I can't really make that kind of call on this side of things."

"I feel like we're sitting ducks," Bucky groaned, leaning on the wall as his brain was on autopilot trying to come up with solutions. Then he decided what his next move was. He held up a hand, standing straight again. "Do you think Tony would let me borrow his cabin for a bit?"

Steve knew where he was going with that.

"Do you really think moving her from the most protected place is the best idea?" He raised an eyebrow.

"She's already been attacked here. Is it really the safest place?" Bucky countered.

"Compared to a cabin in the woods? They already showed that their willing to infiltrate a highly armed facility with weapons and security to last. What makes you think a cabin in the woods would be safer outside of being somewhat hidden?"

"I don't know, ok," Bucky let out an annoyed moan. "I just hate sitting here waiting for their next move. We don't know what it's going to be. How do we prepare if we just wait for them to sneak up on us again?"

"You were out on the trail. The trail is probably the easiest spot to get jumped across this property. It's not like they sneaked in your room-"

"That's exactly what they did," Bucky gave him a straight face. "Remember? The smell, Y/N's lotion, density changing mutant?"

"Ok," Steve relented showing it wasn't a great example. "But what's the likelihood of them having two of those."

"Wanda was a twin. They both had powers that fulfilled their mission," Bucky came back with again.

"OK! Jeez, I get it. The cabin is sounding like an option, but still. It's not the only or best option. Maybe give it some more thought before you pack her up and head to the woods."

Bucky's face showed he was putting more thought into it, but only in the one idea, Steve was trying to steer him away from.

"It's like talking to a brick wall," Steve said flatly and placed his hands on his hips before looking down. "Look, you're tired and haven't had a break just as bad as Y/N. Maybe go sleep on this and tomorrow when both of us have clearer head spaces, we can discuss your options."