The Apple Doesn't Fall Far...

Start from the beginning

"What- I was just asking."

———

Charlie walked down the hall, hands shoved into her pockets as she thought over what Angel had asked her. She could've lied, she could've told them all what they were expecting to hear, but she couldn't. Even after everything that had happened between her and her father...she couldn't lie about him, not like that. No matter how many people thought having Lucifer as a father must be an absolutely horrid experience, it wouldn't change the fact that Charlie's childhood had actually been a rather pleasant one.

Lucifer had always made sure Charlie got his attention above all else, making sure that she never once felt neglected, or alone. He'd put off work just to check in and make sure she was doing alright, even offering to make her a snack if she was hungry. Sure, he'd always pushed her to give her best in everything, but he never made her feel pressured if she got something wrong, he'd even help her to learn from whatever mistake she had. Lilith had told Charlie multiple times throughout her life how much her being born had brought a softer side out of Lucifer, a side Lilith hadn't seen since before he'd fallen from heaven.

Charlie had never wanted for anything, yet she was raised and taught so that she didn't think she was entitled to everything, despite her status as the princess of Hell. Lucifer had taught her that if she really wanted something, then it was worth everything she could give to get it. Both of her parents had cherished their daughter's natural sweetness, often telling her that she was their light in this dark place, and Charlie had been proud of that. Knowing she could bring her parents so much joy by simply being herself had been something Charlie always thought of when she needed some form of motivation. If she could bring them both happiness by simply being Charlie, then there was no limit to what she could accomplish.

At least that's what she thought...

She could have told them the truth, then they'd only have questions. They'd want to know why she never talked about Lucifer, why they never saw her call him, why she never went to see him, and she didn't think she could bare telling them that truth. The truth was that she'd tried calling her father, but he never answered anymore, she'd tried going to see him, but he didn't have time to give her anymore, she'd tried talking about him, but it never made her smile anymore. Charlie had tired to talk to her mother, but she only ever got short responses of 'I love you, but now isn't a good time' and 'He won't talk until he wants to'.

As Charlie went to her room, she thought about that one single truth that she hated admitting to herself, she'd let her parents down. Their light, their joy, had let them down, and it left a pit in Charlie's stomach. Charlie had finally gotten to sweet, to soft...to weak for her father's liking, and he'd grown furious at her dream of sending his citizens to heaven. She'd pleaded with him, begged him to listen, but he'd made how he felt about it perfectly clear. Lucifer felt that the damned were right where they belonged, and knowing that his own child wanted to do something that would benefit Heaven, that would benefit his own father, felt like the ultimate betrayal. It was for that reason that Charlie couldn't be angry at her father, knowing that she'd reopened an old wound that had never quite healed right. She felt awful for hurting her father in such a way.

Charlie laid on her back across her bed, muttering to herself, "Some Princess of the Damned I am..."

———

"Lucifer, you can't be serious..."

"She needs to learn how things are down here, Lilith. I hate to admit it, but Charlie has to grow up. She won't gain any respect from the people if she spends her time on this dream of hers. How long until she actually tries to put it into action?"

"She just wants to seek a less violent solution to the overpopulation, my sweet."

"I know..." Lucifer let out a long sigh, "But she only fancies this idea because she hasn't really experienced what the realm is like. We've sheltered her to much, my dear."

"You love her kindness as much as I do. The fact that someone like her could be born from the likes of us is a true miracle, Lucifer. We- we can't ruin that."

"We knew it wouldn't last forever..."

"I...I know..." Lilith's voice sounded strained, "I just...I wish we could have it for longer...she reminds me so much of you, Lucifer...before all of this."

"I'm so sorry my love, but you know I only want to keep her safe."

Little did the two of them know that not to far down the hall, Charlie had been listening from her bedroom. The princess was crying quietly into her pillow, Razzle and Dazzle cuddling her to try and cheer her up. Never in her life had Charlie heard her father talk about something she wanted to do like it was wrong...something about his tone just broke her heart. Was she really supposed to change into someone else? She just wanted to help her people...help her parents...why was that wrong?

"I wish someone understood..."