Chapter 8

(MIA'S POV)

It took me till the 6th period ending bell rang to realize Hayes wasn't here at school today. I know he seemed upset last night but he didn't seem sick. Maybe he was. I know i felt sick after last night. That whole drama issue took my stomach on a rockin' roller coaster and hasn't stopped yet. I didn't think he liked me like that. I thought we were just friends. The worst part is...I can't say that I don't like him. I mean I still really care for Christian but he's just not the same. We use to hang out a lot and we both really enjoyed being around each other but now it kinda feels like a job and one that I don't want. Every time we hang out, it doesn't seem like he's really there. I mean I know he is but he's always distracted by something else on his phone.

I spent all of 7th period thinking about Christian and Hayes and that whole situation. I was so distracted by everything I was thinking about that I guess I hadn't even notice that school had been let out. My teacher approached me and took a seat infront of me. She was a woman with long short brown hair and looked to be about 45. She gave me a small smile and then began to speak, "You know Mia, when I have a lot on my mind I go for walks...not stay after school. You should try it sometime." She kinda chuckled and then looked at me sincerely. "What's got you all froze up sweetie? Test? Parents? Friends? A boy?" I gave a little sigh then gave in. Honestly I wanted to talk to someone and here's someone willing to listen.

"Well...two boys. I have a boyfriend and we've been together for a little over a year now and he's not acting the same. I'm not happy with him really. Or maybe he's not happy with me. Then I met this other guy and when I hang out with him we always have fun and he's really cool and at first I thought we were just friends and then he found out about my boyfriend and told me that he likes me more than a friend and then he left and went home and he seemed really upset. I know it may seem simple. To forget about my boyfriend but we've been together so long it doesn't seem like I can dump him. But when I'm with him he's distracted and barely pays attention to my presence. I don't know what to do. It's got my mind all geared up and I can't think straight." It was already passed 3:15 and if I didn't start walking home soon I knew my mom would start to worry.

"Well Mia, try talking to them. Both. Not at the same time but separately and then come back to me. I'm always here. Now let's get going because it's already 3:27. I'll see you tomorrow. Goodbye." And with that I got up and walked out of the school building. By the time I was out of the building there was no other kids hanging around. I started heading home and realized there was no one in sight. I thought about what Mrs. Barangi said. I decided I was going to talk them. Starting with Christian.

I told my mom I was going to be home late and she said that was fine. I walked up the front steps to Christians house and knocked on the door. His mom opened the door and smiled but something about her facial expression was off.
"Hey Mia, if your looking for Christian, their upstairs." I was just about to question who 'they' was but she walked back into the kitchen before I could ask. I set my book bag down by the door and walked upstairs.

I walked upstairs pushed open Christians door. When I saw him making out with my ex bestfriend from my old school. Alyssa. As soon as he saw me he didn't jump up and run after me he just sat there and watch as tears fell down my burning cheeks. He didn't care and that hurt more than anything. I walked downstairs and grabbed my bag and headed out the door. Once I was out of his house I walked slowly back towards home. I was walking infront of Hayes house when I stopped and looked up deciding if I wanted to go talk to him. I was still crying and I looked like a mess so i decided I would talk to him some other day when I wasn't so upset. I was about to start walking off when I decided I should just get it over with. So I walked up to his steps and knocked on the door. His brother answered and gave me a concerned look. "Hey Mia, are you alright?" I nodded and tried to get myself to speak.
"Can-can I see Hayes." He nodded and let me through motioning towards upstairs.
I walked to his closed door and knocked. I heard him yell come in so I took a deep breath and tried to wipe away so of the tears then opened the door. I was still crying but I began to speak as best as I could before he could possibly stop me.
"H-Hayes I'm s-sorry...he was
Che-eating on me and I w-was t-to stupid to see I'm sorry w-will you please f-forgive m-me, I-I..." He stopped me before I could say another word. He got up from his bed and rushed over to me. He was wearing a long sleeve shirt and some gym shorts. He came to me and wrapped his arms around me tightly and I buried my head in his chest while he rubbed circles on my back.
"Shhhh. Shhhh. It's okay Mia. I couldn't ever stay upset with you. I'm so sorry this happened. I'm here for you though and I always will be. He's a jerk. He doesn't deserve you Mia. Your amazing and if he can't see that then he's just stupid." We laid down once I finally dried my tears and I still had my head rest in his chest. The lights were off and it had started raining so we turned on the tv and we watched a movie. The storm got worse but we stayed there cuddled together. No matter what I'm glad I stayed late after school and talked to Mrs. Barangi. I'm almost glad that I walked in on Christian and Alyssa because I'm glad for everything that had brought me right here.