Chapter 2: The Deal

Start from the beginning

"Let me know if you need anything," said Andreas. "My father is an ass when it comes to humans, but he loves that pup already. It may not seem like it at the moment. He's only annoyed that Rudy will be a little different for the first few years of his life. I would keep the boy close, though."

"We plan, too." I took a swig of my drink. "Marcy was already worried about being a new mom, and with Rudy's condition, she is very protective."

"I noticed," laughed Andreas. "She snatched the pup for you. Don't get between a mother and her pup." He pointed at the other werewolf. "You may lose a limb." He smiled. "Or a chunk out of one of them, at least."

***

"How'd it go?" asked Marcy. "Did Hector come around? He came by to hold Rudy again. He seemed in a better mood."

I finished buckling my son into his seat and brushed my finger across the child's cheek. "He doesn't hate Rudy. No one wants their child to be seen as different." I picked the car seat up. "We're going to make sure Rudy is raised just like any other pup." I smiled at my mate. "Our son may be furless but he is still a werewolf of Midfield. And by the sounds of it, he's going to be a dominant."

Marcy looped arms with me. "I think I'm more worried about that than anything else. My brothers were hard enough to deal with. They were always fighting, and most of the time they couldn't remember why after it was settled."

I chuckled. "I'm sure Andreas and I weren't that fun to raise either."

***

I sat in the corner of the cafeteria and watched the woman outside, walking with her pups. One had on a bright pink fluffy skirt and was jumping over the cracks in the sidewalk. I smiled to myself. Her younger brother was trying to do the same but would jump and land right on the line.

Would people look the same way at us when I walked down the sidewalk with Rudy? Breathing out through my nose, I slumped over.

"Why are you down here?"

I flinched and turned to find Andreas standing at the end of the table. He was making those around us fidget in their seats.

"I needed to clear my head."

"Should I be offended?" He sat down across from me and folded his arms.

"No." I turned to the window. "Dominants don't come down to this floor often, so it's less tense."

"I have a couch in my office."

I scoffed. "You're not helping."

Andreas leaned over the table. "Stop worrying. Hector already gave the order that Rudy will have a first appearance."

My muzzle fell open. "I—I thought we wouldn't...."

"Why?" He shrugged. "Because the pup is a little different? If anything, we'll let the pack know that you didn't adopt a human child. Besides, NR wants to see him."

"Yeah," I muttered. "To see if they want to steal him from me."

"We'll see what happened in eighteen years, but basically, that's exactly why they want to come."

Nodding, I sat up straight. "I need to stop thinking about it."

"Do you have new robes?"

"I have the ones I wore to the last ceremony."

Andreas scoffed. "Yeah, the same ones you wore to Max's first appearance, and he's ten. We're buying you new ones. I mean, you're a dad." He gave me a grin. "It's something to celebrate."

I smiled to myself. "I—I've been meaning to ask how it went...." My mouth felt dry. "At the doctor."

"I love Sunny." He watched the pups playing below. "I don't need a pup to prove it."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be." Andreas glanced at me. "Just bring yours over, and then when I get sick of all the noise, I can send them home with you. Deal?"

"Deal." I wrung my hands together. "I still wish there was a way to help her. I know Marcy has said Sunny is having a hard time with it."

Andreas scratched by his nose. "I talked with her about it. I don't want to try anything else. The miscarriages have been too hard on her and I can't take seeing her so heartbroken. Even werewolves have limitations and her body views bearing a pup as a point of weakness. It's all the fault for breeding for strength to the point we can't even breed," he laughed. "Max will carry on the alpha line, anyways."

He took a deep breath. "There's some other stuff going on as well that we can't fix, but I've accepted it. Alice struggled to make it to term with Max. It's great that Marcy does better with it. I swear it's because she's half-human."

I tried not to smile. "Don't let Hector hear you."

"The old man is annoying me," he muttered. "My grandpa was hesitant. He was sure a human spy would weasel their way in, and then my dad took it to an extreme. We have the humans under control now and if a werewolf falls for a human, then so be it. I mean, look at you." He waved his hand at me. "Your dad broke the rules and mated a human, and they got you without even trying."

"You might have a point," I said quietly. "But if Hector asked, I will deny it."

"You don't owe my dad anything, Fallon."

"He raised me."

"Something your mother could've done." He rose from his seat. "You should invite her."

I shook my head. "The alpha wouldn't be happy if she showed up."

"Whether or not she comes should be up to her. As her son, I think you should at least invite her."

I scratched behind my ear. "I'll think about it."

"Well, once you're done, get your ass upstairs and back to work." He gave me a smirk before leaving.

I sank into my seat. I had hoped we wouldn't have to go through a first appearance. That was my fault for being too optimistic.

****

More chapters and bonus content can be found on my Patreon. https://www.patreon.com/varzanic