7. Femme Fatale

What was she thinking?

Merit asked herself that very question several times over the course of the day as she'd kept to the trees along the path. His magnanimous highness had glanced about to see if he could spot her from time to time with an all too giddy look on his face as he and his small entourage continued on. Of course he never spotted her, but he was too happy about this arrangement.

Truthfully, her visible presence would have been more than helpful. People around here knew of her as both a threat and an ally. They'd have been less likely to recognize the prince if she'd remained his ever present shadow. But she couldn't stand his giddy gaze.

It was like she was some sort of prize.

Well, she was getting paid.

She reminded herself of that as the two fellows walked up to the inn near the covered bridge. She'd gone ahead and leaned against the gate post as they approached. Philip muttered to himself, shaking his head as that fresh smile lit up the evening's fading light.

Before he could speak, she raised a hand.

"Your knight should pay for the room, buy us a round and meet me at the table in the corner."

She stalked in ahead of them.

Merit had been alone so long she forgot what it was to have comrades that wanted to talk to you. It made her nervous. At least back in Le Fer she could order those people out of her sight. But here, he was the prince and she a mere thief.

The balance was weighted against her.

She surveyed the dimly lit dining hall as the door swung noisily behind her. Few patrons looked up, and those who did recognized the deadly thief and instantly went back to their cups and dinners. There were only about seven regulars, and two she didn't recognize and were most likely travelers staying the night. Wariness teased the edges of her mind. Still, the tightness between her shoulder blades eased as she realized she'd have the chance to sleep in a real bed tonight.

Her table awaited empty in the corner. Someone had got up the moment she'd walked in and scurried to another. In a few strides she found her seat facing the rest of the room and placed her dagger on the table to play with.

Then the prince entered.

Greedy eyes took in his royal blue clothes. Many tabulated his worth and how much he might have in his pockets, others squinted trying to place who he looked like. With Philip at his side a few looked away, but others still kept sneaking looks at the pair.

"Evening, might we have a room?"

"How many beds?"

"Three if you've got em."

Murmuring covered up the quiet conversation with the proprietor after that, and Merit's attention followed the polite grin of Eric as he approached the barmaid.

"Hello there, a round of beer for my companions and I if you could."

The girl, probably nineteen, leant over the bar and pressed her cleavage up with the gesture, fluttering her dark lashes at the wealthy looking customer.

"Oh? How many?"

"Three, please."

"Oh, I aim to please..."

He placed a coin on the counter and turned back to look for her. His face seemed unaffected at the girl's flirtatious nature, and then it beamed when he spied her in the corner. It nearly caught Merit off guard.

The flaggons were handed him quickly, and before he could take them Merit saw a hand inside a sleeve reveal a leather pouch. The owner of said hand stood and bumped into Eric on his way to her. Apologizing, he went up to the bar to order another drink. The prince paid the man no mind.