New Assignment

As I sit and wait for my boss to call me into his office, I read my horoscope of the day. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I do believe what my horoscope tells me; it hasn't been wrong yet. Since I was nine I've been interested in the stars and the way they're aligned. Every star connects with each other and I find that amazing. As I read my horoscope, I grin in excitement.

Libra: New job opportunities will arise today, make the most of it!

My thoughts are shaken when the secretary tells me that Mr. Handler is ready to see me. I check my hair in the mirror one last time, and smooth out my pants before I follow the secretary into my boss' office. As I walk down the long corridor, the only sound I hear is the clicking of my high heels against the expensive tile. I am all too aware of my own nervous breathing and shaky hands, so I take a deep breath in order to calm myself down. I can't allow myself to look unprofessional in front of my boss.

The secretary opens the door for me and gives me a polite smile. I step into Mr. Handler's large office and his secretary shuts the door behind me. He is sitting in his chair, his back facing me. I stand somewhat awkwardly at the door, unsure whether I should take a seat or not. My uncertainty doesn't last long though, as Mr. Handler clears his throat.

"Take a seat, Ms. King." His voice is gruff and intimidating, so I do as he says.

"I understand you wanted to speak with me, sir." I say once I am seated comfortably. Finally, he spins to face me. His gray eyes study me, sizing me up. I become anxious under his gaze, but I try not to show it.

"Yes, thank you for seeing me on such short notice." He replies finally.

"Of course, sir."

"Well, I'm sure you're curious as to why I wanted to see you, am I correct about that assumption?" He questions, and I nod my head. "I know you've been working in editing for the past month, but I would like to give you a new assignment. Something more suited to your abilities." He states, and more curiosity flows through me.

"What did you have in mind?" I question.

"The Dallas Stars are in need of a new reporter, and I figured you would be the perfect person for the job." Mr. Handler informs me and I have to keep my jaw from dropping. This is what I have been waiting for since I started working for Mr. Handler. It is every sports journalist's dream to work with a professional sports team. My horoscope was right, once again.

"I'm truly honored, sir. Thank you." He holds a hand up, silencing me.

"Before you get too excited, there are a couple of ground rules you need to keep in mind. Number one, you must remain professional at all times. You are allowed to make friends, but don't forget you have a job to do. Number two, you are not to get involved romantically with any of the players on the team. That's another reason I chose you for the job. I can trust you to respect these rules. Now, are you up for this?" He asks. I process these rules in my brain. This should be a piece of cake, I have no problem staying professional and I'm not interested in getting involved with anyone romantically at the moment.

"When do I start?" I grin. Mr. Handler's straight lined mouth curves upwards a little as he says,

"I knew I chose wisely, you start in two days." He shakes my hand firmly, and I excuse myself from his office after thanking him again.

This time as I walk down the hallway, my heels click happily against the tile, and I can hear my heart beat in my chest. Finally, my hard work has paid off. All my days of coming in early and staying late, pushing myself as far as I can go was worth it. I finally made it to what I've been wanting since I graduated from high school. It makes all of the stressful times worth it.

Since I already live in Dallas, the location change won't be far. Which means I won't have to move from my cozy two bedroom apartment that is only twenty minutes away from the stadium. I pack up my things from my desk and head home.

I kick off my heels and rub my feet as I rest on my large sofa. My cat, Chancy, hops onto the couch next to me and rubs his face against my arm while purring.

"Hey there, Chancy. Miss me?" I say to him and pet his sweet spot behind his ears. He purrs louder in response to this and I smile. "I bet you're hungry."

After feeding Chancy, I cook myself a homemade meal including: spaghetti, garlic bread, and caesar salad. I sit down with my meal and turn on the NHL Network. If I'm going to be working with the Dallas Stars, I definitely need to conduct some research on hockey in general. Conveniently, there was a segment on the Dallas Stars when I turned it on.

The most I learned from watching the segment was the player's names and their ice time. It wasn't what I was hoping for, but it wasn't a total loss either. Chancy hops up onto the couch and rubs against me again, purring. I cuddle him close to me and switch off the television.

"I think it's bedtime." I coo as I pet his head. He meows at me and I pick him up, carrying him to my bedroom. Once I change into pajamas, I hop in bed with Chancy beside me. I'm excited for my first day of work in a couple of days. I'm going to listen to my horoscope and make the most of my season with the Dallas Stars, it might just be the best experience of my life.