𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈 . 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐚𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐢

Fili refused to leave Mylaela's side as they made their way down the cliff, occasionally grabbing onto her when he expected she was to fall.

"I am okay, Fili," Mylaela chuckled slightly as they reached the bottom, laying a hand on his shoulder. He nodded in understanding but did not distance himself.

The company continued their journey in comfortable silence, the mountain visible in the distance. A feeling of hope lingered amongst them, they had gained a large lead on the orc pack and were further along than they expected to have been.

"We will rest here," Thorin announced, the company dropping their belongings to rest beside a river.

Mylaela perched herself on a rock, grabbing her canteen to take a few large gulps before refilling it. A pair of eyes were glued on her figure, refusing to stray from her.

Having a suspicion of who it was, she glanced out of the corner of her eyes. Her assumption was correct as she caught a glimpse of Thorin staring.

The king under the mountain had given her quite the lecture about tackling Azog, especially emphasizing her recklessness.

"What you did was foolish," he scolded, holding out a hand to help her up. Mylaela accepted, looking towards Gandalf.

"My job is to protect the company, and that is what I will do."

"You will not be able to protect the company if you are to die," Thorin hissed, his grip not loosening on her hand, despite her being steady on her feet, "The company needs you."

"I have lived on this earth for many years," Mylaela began, glancing off into the distance, "I do not plan to leave it anytime soon."

"You would have," he pointed out, glancing back at Gandalf, "If the eagles had not come, none of us would be here."

"If I had not tackled Azog, I fear you would not be here."

"Azog is not like anything you have faced before," he growled, his hatred towards the pale Orc was known amongst many, "He will not stop until he stands atop our corpses."

"I assure you, I can handle an Orc who believes he is all-powerful," Mylaela raised an eyebrow, not understanding the apprehension towards the pale Orc, "I have faced great evils throughout my years."

Thorin released her hand, a scowl still prominent on his face, "If you do something as reckless as that again, I will ensure Gandalf removes you from our company."

"You would not be successful," she countered, catching a small smile on Gandalf's face, "I swore to help you reclaim Erebor, and I will not depart until your quest is fulfilled."

"Lady Mylaela," the distinct voice of Bilbo Baggins rang through the silence, easily earning her attention, "I believe I requested you not to address me as a Lady."

"My apologies," he nodded awkwardly, "By any chance, do you sing?"

"Aye," Mylaela smiled contently, memories of her family flooding her mind, "Though not as well as my mother or sister, who were known for their voices."

"Would you perhaps, sing us a song?"

Mylaela hummed in thought, her eyes grazing over the company. Each of them looked at her in expectation, hoping she would agree to the Hobbit's request. Even Fili and Kili had stopped skipping stones to await her answer.

"I suppose."

The company slowly made their way closer to the Elf, some sitting down comfortably, others standing. Mylaela steadied her breathing before beginning to sing a song she deemed fitting for the situation.

Old friend of mine, down by the seaside

Skipping stones, we watch the changing tides

Far from home, now we sleep in rolls

Stories told, walkin' down windy roads

The water flow, down in the valley

Where we arose, and hike the mountain side

Cobblestones, all through the cities

On the road, we've come to know that time is all we have

So we go, and won't look back

We will run, with a heart that is oh, so young

We have come, to a place we can go as one

We will run

We found a place, among those five towns

Along the coast, where colors came to life

On the road, so many faces

Both young and old, we've come to know that time is all we have

So we go, and won't look back

We will run, with a heart that is oh, so young

We have come, to a place we can go as one

And oh, my life was lost in time, but now I see my heart is free

We will run

With a heart that is oh, so young

We have come, to a place we can go as one

We will run

With a heart that is oh, so young

We have come, to a place we can go as one

Finishing her song, she brought her attention back to the company. Many who were standing had found their place amongst those who had found comfort on the ground, all aside from one.

Thorin stared at her with an unreadable expression, emotions swirling in his eyes as if he did not know how to feel.

"If that is how you sing," Kili muttered, sharing a glance at his brother in awe, "I could only dream of hearing your mother's or sister's voice."

"You hear a part of my mother's every day," Mylaela informed him, glancing towards the trees, "she taught the nightingale's their birdsong before she found her place amongst Middle Earth."

"Lass, if you do not mind me asking, are you one of the Calaquendi?"

"I do not mind at all, Balin," Mylaela smiled, "I was, my parents blessed me with gazing upon the Two Trees of Valinor, they truly were a sight I would trade all sights of Arda to see once more."

"So it is true," Ori piped up, eyes wide in adoration, "The Elves who gazed upon the trees ensnared the light of the Trees."

"Some may say that," Mylaela shrugged, she knew Galadriel's ethereal beauty created that suspicion, though she did not know the truth behind it.

"It is true," Gandalf answered instead, Mylaela looking at him in shock, "She holds the light of Telperion, the Silver Tree, in her eyes."

What the wizard had said was true, the She-Elf spent the majority of her journey gazing upon Telperion, finding him much more mesmerizing than Laurelin. In her crystal blue eyes, glimmers of silver could be seen even in the darkest of places.

"I had believed I was seeing things," Thorin roughly spoke, staring into her eyes that truly did seem to sparkle.