I push back the hesitation and knock on the door. Every second that passes my heart beats faster. I'm not even sure if he's here. His truck wasn't parked out front, but maybe he just hasn't got it from Lexi's.

I hear footsteps coming, making me take a deep breath. Wait, how do I even look? I didn't even check before leaving.

The deadbolt unlocks, and the door opens. His eyes widen when he sees me.

"You came?"

"Yeah..." He looks so good in his tight, black long-sleeve shirt and gray sweatpants. Jesus, Wes... Focus.

"I thought you'd wait 'til the last day. Or that you wouldn't come at all."

"Well... I'm here."

"Yeah. And what does that mean?"

"Can I come in first?"

"Yeah, of course." He steps to the side and shuts the door back once I'm inside. His apartment's really warm, and it smells nice in here. I see a candle lit on his coffee table. That must be what smells good.

"Have you not went to get your truck yet?" I ask, trying to hold off why I came here for as long as possible.

"No. I told Maya to tell Lexi I'd get it tomorrow. I didn't feel like taking an Uber tonight."

"I could..." Do I really want to? "I could take you if you want. I mean, I am the reason you left it."

"Uh, yeah. I'd like that. When do you want to?"

"Well, school starts back tomorrow, so tonight would be better for me."

"Okay. Well, actually, all my jeans are in the dryer right now, and I'm not a huge fan of wearing sweatpants out. Do you want to wait with me until they're done? Sorry. I've been falling behind on laundry. They shouldn't be too much longer."

I swallow, feeling nervous. I didn't expect this turn of events. I was planning to kiss him and leave, so I can freak out about it on my own. And then decide whether I liked it or not.

"Sure."

"So, why did you come here? I know it wasn't just to offer me a ride."

My stomach feels like a ball of knots. Stay confident, Wes. You're already here. Don't back out now.

I meet his eyes. "I want to try it."

"Try what?"

"Kissing."

He looks taken aback. "What?"

"What's wrong? We almost did it last night anyway."

"I know, but why are you suddenly asking for that?"

"Because I need to know what it's like." When he doesn't say anything, I ask, "What?"

"Nothing. I'm just surprised. I figured you wouldn't do anything physical until we at least had a few dates."

"Well, I don't want to waste any time."

"Huh?"

"I'm not going to waste time going on dates and leading you on if I can't even handle a kiss."

"Oh. Well, that makes sense. Uh, when do you want to?"

"Now."

"Uh, do you want me to kiss you or you kiss me?"

"Um... You kiss me."

"Now?"

"Yes, now."

"Okay." He steps closer to me, making the reality of what's about to happen hit me. Oh, shit. He stops in front of me and leans his face closer to mine.