Chapter 06: The Metkayina Clan

Depuis le début

"Easy." Jake said softly, "Just be cool."

She saw how the two boys continued to walk past the group, inspecting them, obviously not fond of their arrival. The girl looked over to see the boys looking her up and down.

Just be cool.

"Look." The shorter one said, "What is that?" The taller one smirked, then laughed. "Is that supposed to be a tail?" He joked, pointing at Neteyam's tail, causing others in the clan to laugh. Marali knew she had to focus on something, anything else, so she didn't put those two in their place, risking the ability of the family to seek refuge. She wouldn't be the reason they would have to leave.

Instead, she focused on Lo'ak and Neteyam, seeing Lo'ak looking at something to the right. She redirected her gaze to see a girl making her way out of the ocean. Marali smirked.

Someone's got a crush.

When the girl approached the group, she made her way over to the boys who had been making fun of the Omatikaya teens prior. They were still evidently making fun of them as Marali heard the shorter one say, "It is so small - How are they supposed to swim?" as he was still pointing at Neteyam's tail.

"Do not, Rotxo - Ao'nung." The girl said, scolding the boys. Marali shot the girl a grateful smile as she hoped it would stop the boys, even if it was only for a moment. The smaller one's name was Rotxo, and he had looked down after the girl had scolded him. He seemed slightly ashamed of his actions, unlike the taller one, Ao'nung. He didn't even try to hide his smile.

I wish I could wipe that smirk off of his face.

From the corner of her eye, the girl could see Lo'ak look back up at the Metkayina girl. "Hey." He greeted, causing the girl to giggle and look down shyly. Marali looked at Kiri with an amused smile as she only rolled her eyes at the altercation.

Suddenly, the girl heard the flapping of wings, and looked over to see skimwings fly over the group. The girl slightly bent down, fearing the animal's tail might hit her head.

The group watched as they saw the man with Olo'eyktan clothing slide off the skimwing. As the man got closer, everyone greeted him with a known gesture.

"Olo'eyktan," Jake and the Chief both say.

"I see you, Tonowari," Jake greeted.

Marali looked past the Olo'eyktan to see a woman making her way through the crowd of Warriors and villagers. The girl could tell by the way the woman held herself that she was the Tsahik. She could also notice that it would be harder to persuade the Tsahik into giving them Ukturu than it would be to persuade the Olo'eyktan.

"I see you, Ronal. Tsahik of the Metkayina." Jake said to the woman, who was now standing by Tonowari, the Olo'eyktan.

"I see you, Ronal," Neytiri said, following her husband's lead. This caused the woman to move her attention from Jake to Neytiri. The Tsahik did not seem pleased that the Omatikaya people were here, at all.

Tonowari extends his arm towards Jake, "Why do you come to us?" He asked.

Jake takes a deep breath, looking at his family before speaking, "We seek Ukturu."

"Ukturu?" The Tsahik questioned as if she did not believe Jake.

"A sanctuary for my family," Jake continued.

Marali could see Ronal depart from her husband as she made her way toward the group.

"We are reef people," The Chief spoke as his wife continued to look over the Omatikaya group, "You are forest people. Your skills will mean nothing here."