Chapter 4: Here Comes the Rejected Love Interest

Start from the beginning

Yes, her mom forbade her (and the rest of her siblings) from swearing in front of the younger kids (mostly her baby brother and also her niece and nephews). So Cress had to be creative and dig up old fashioned swear words to compromise.

"Rakefire?" EJ frowned in confusion.

"It means someone who has overstayed their welcome." Cress explained.

"Makes sense." EJ nodded, quietly agreeing with his friend's nickname.

"That, Cressie, would be the rejected Prince Charmless trying to win Nini back." Ten responded, noticing EJ looking rather bristled by the unannounced appearance of Nini's ex-boyfriend.

"We're all set on Troys, we're low on Chads though." Miss Jenn stated. "You can read after the Gabriellas."

"Troy would have arrived on time." Carlos chimed in.

Ten was silently agreeing with Carlos's opinion, he was never fond of tardiness and lack of punctuality.

"Nini, let's try it again." Miss Jenn decided to resume the audition, regardless of how awkward it's become with Nini's ex barging in.

"You got this, babe! Whoo!" EJ started to cheer on his girlfriend.

"See, this is why the Initial T-Shirts could have come in handy." Cress whispered. "It's flashy in a flattering way."

As if the universe just wants to test its luck, Miss Jenn accidentally spilled her drinks over and onto the electrical system in front of her, causing all the lights to go out.

"Nobody panic!" Miss Jenn called out, trying to defuse the situation.

"It's fine, Miss J. I like dark humor." Cress smirked, causing a few of the theater buddies to chuckle at her joke. "Plus, this is probably the only time EJ here can set Ten up on a blind date."

"...I think my body temperature just dropped a few degrees celsius." Ten muttered, but loud enough to be heard by his two friends.

EJ used a hand to cover his mouth and hide his amused expression. While Cress instantly chortled, a few others started to chuckle as well.

Ten would describe Cress as a person who effortlessly lights up a room, her positivity is infectious and has a way of making others smile.

"Wooow Cress, way to brighten the mood." Natalie rolled her eyes. Cress wasn't sure if that pun was intentional.

"Thanks Nat. I've been told I can light up the room." Cress joked back in response. A couple of her peers (Ten included) playfully groan at the pun choice.

"Nini, let's wait for the lights to come back on. I don't want this to throw you." Miss Jenn called out in the dark.

Ten started to sigh at the predicament. How could it get any worse?

"I'm not thrown." Nini spoke out, before she started singing 'The Start of Something New'. It was a little shaky at first (probably the nerves), but it sounded good so far.

Ricky started fumbling into his pockets before retrieving his phone to flash a light at Nini. Nini looked slightly surprised by her ex's action, but decided to continue singing.

Out of the corner of Ten's eye, he noticed EJ fumbling to find his phone but intervened.

"Oh no you don't. What are you doing?" Ten stopped his friend, using his iron grip to hold onto one of EJ's hands.

"Cressida." Ten eyed his friend, before Cress pulled EJ back to his seat by force.

"Cress, how could you?" EJ frowned, looking rather betrayed by his friend basically force-gluing him to his seat.