The Last Birthday Gift (2)

Start from the beginning

Dream frowned sadly. "I had to give you an amazing birthday present, remember?" He tried for a smile.

"No! No, you were an amazing gift alone! You didn't have to give me your heart!" Sapnap screamed.

Figuratively and literally.

Let's rewind, shall we?

-

February, 28

"...in dire condition..." The doctor informed Dream.

It felt like the doctor was punching a hole in Dream's heart, everytime more deeper and heartbreaking.

"...needs a transplant, but there's no donors available." The doctor cast a dejected glance Dream's way as he struggled with his decisions. "It's a one time thing, too. Most donors don't survive, nobody's offering. I'm terribly sorry, sir."

Why was everybody so cruel? Couldn't ONE person offer such a tiny thing?

Offer their life?

No one was rude or self-centered; everyone was terrified. More than anything else, the people who truly gave their lives possessed guts and trust. Dream loved and admired every single person who had the courage to do so.

A heart.

Sapnap had heart problems. It had developed earlier on but it had been too quick to stop. Sapnap had been suffering but he himself had not known it.

"Please," Dream pleaded. "Please do something. He's everything to me, I couldn't bear to see him...dead!"

The doctor sighed and tried to be as sympathetic as possible. "My boy, Sapnap has O negative blood type. It's rare and not many of our willing donors have it." He explained.

Dream stood silent. Till death do us apart seemed like a stupid joke now. He extended his arm, flexing his fingers.

"Check my blood type, please, doc. I would do anything to save him." Dream said, exhaling.

The doctor glanced at Dream, his wrinkles deepening. He sighed, upset he couldn't save another life in exchange for love.

But for some people, love was everything.

It was to Dream.

-

Present timing

"I'd give you anything." Dream said simply.

"No," Sapnap said, sobbing. "Why? You didn't have too. No!"

"Yes, I did." Dream said firmly. Softly grabbing Sapnap by the neck, he brought their lips together. A brief but passionate kiss. While Sapnap's lips were quivering and drenched in tears, Dream's lips were feverishly warm and parched. The blonde didn't want to, but Dream pulled away. He smiled, closing his eyes.

"I hope you like your gift. Because it'll be my last. But I'll keep sending you love, if anything; don't be sad. I'll always be looking down at you in the stars."

"Don't say that." Sapnap cried. "You'll live! We'll go to the stars together!"

Dream shook his head, his eyes watery and his cheeks red.

"Wait for me, will you? I'll see you again." Dream promised. He smiled. "Happy birthday. I love you." Then his body went still.

"NO!" Sapnap screamed. The machine started to go crazy while Sapnap snatched Dream's lifeless body and hugged him, begging for him to wake up, to celebrate his birthday together.

The nurses came charging in, followed by Bad and George. The nurses sprinted to the machine and started tinkering with it while Bad and George dragged Sapnap to the exit, leaving Dream with the two nurses, the alarms blaring and the nurses shouting in their walkie-talkies.

As Bad and George dragged Sapnap away, sniffling and crying, Sapnap's hand clenched his shirt where his heart was, and sunk his nails into the fabric of his shirt, as though trying to claw out his heart.

Dream's heart.

Sapnap stopped struggling but tears still rolled down and dripped onto the floor.

The fact that his heart would serve as his lone link to Dream seemed cruel.

It seemed cruel that his heart would be Dream's last birthday present.

--

word count- 1082

YOO I FINALLY FINISHED

i feel fulfilled 

also wish me luck on my exams yall

-ideax