10. A Turn Of Events

Start from the beginning

She turns her hands to the left, then around each other. In different directions, as silently as possible, pressing them through every part of the rope that she can find. It takes her a minute, and then she is free. It was harder than usual.

Chepi glances from one side to the other. She puts the rope carefully on the ground, and then glances up at Anemone. The demon isn't looking at her. Her wings flutter with the wind. She stands up, as quietly as possible.

"You can leave, if you want to"

Chepi's eyes widen. She looks at Anemone, but the black-haired girl isn't even looking at her. Does she have really good hearing? But Chepi is known to be as silent as the wind, moving like a ghost from one part of the world to the next. Nobody has ever heard her before. She hesitates, standing still, completely frozen. Anemone is calm. She continues to drag that smooth rock across one of her black swords. The other sword lays tucked away in her belt.

"I'll just chase you"

Chepi frowns. Anemone stops what she's doing. She raises her sword up to her eye-level, and checks its sharpness with a careful precision. Then, she nods to herself, seemingly satisfied with her own work. The fairy watches her stand up, and is immediately intimidated by how tall she is. Anemone casually just towers over her, and walks up to her while wiping off her hands from the dark enchantment dust. Chepi backs away from her, one step at a time. The demon doesn't care. She stops right in front of her.

"I can tell that you're pretty good at escaping" She says, a serious expression on her face. Chepi chooses to ignore her. The demon smiles, just a little bit. "But, it just so happens that I am great at catching"

Chepi feels oddly tongue-tied around this demon. She avoids her eyes to not get drawn in, like last time. Frustration over not being able to act up around her kidnapper bubbles to the surface. She's a professional menace, why can't she act like one? Anemone just... she has the upper hand, in all situations. She's never bothered by anything Chepi does or says, and the fairy can't come up with anything worse to do before the demon has pulled the rug underneath her feet and surprised her with yet another thing to say.

Anemone hums to herself, seemingly satisfied by Chepi's silence.

"If you try to run I'll catch you, if you try to hurt me I'll hurt you. Simple, right?" She looks at Chepi, who glances up at her defiantly. Anemone can see that her mouth moves to form the word 'no', and immediately cuts her off. "-Good, then we're on the same page"

She leaves Chepi baffled, standing by the tree, and moves to gather her things.

"Keep up the pace when we walk, or I'll force you"

Dieq remembers having this small, fake telescope when he was a kid. It was this little thing that you could look into and see a magical realm, a picture from the past. You'd press on a button on the side and the picture would change. It was stolen from the fairy kingdom, one of the most magical toys in the realm. A toy that could show you pictures from the past, small glances into someone's life. It was blurry and uncertain, and it broke in just a few weeks.

Dieq looks at his father's sleeping figure. He remembers the feeling he got as he looked through the small telescope. It's like seeing a picture from the past. A small memory, a captured moment. His father's face, way paler than it used to be, tired and old. As always, the old man is surrounded by heavy purple velvet, hanging along the walls, on his bed, above his bed and over his pillows. He looks so out of place among all of the jewellery and fabric that he has surrounded himself with.