Chapter 04: Two Weeks Later

Start from the beginning

"We're always supposed to be back before eclipse," Tuk said, joining the older kids on the ground. Lo'ak dismissed what she said, too distracted by what was in front of him.

I wish I was down there with them.

"That's way too big to be human," Lo'ak said, looking around. He had looked up at the trees around them, and Marali had to quickly hide behind the tree she was standing on. She thought he had caught her until she heard Spider's voice. "Avatars?" He asks.

"Maybe," Lo'ak says, pausing. "But they're for sure not ours." He finishes as he stood up, following the tracks.

Great Mother, please don't let Lo'ak do something stupid.

As the group continued walking, Marali knew where they were headed.

The old site.

She remembered the stories her dad would tell her as a child. Norm informed her that she was never permitted to come here, ever. Yet, here she was, following Lo'ak into danger once again.

Jake was going to kill Lo'ak, and Norm was going to kill her. Pushing aside the feelings of her imminent death, the girl continued to follow the Sully children and Spider.

"We are never supposed to come here," Kiri whispered. Marali struggled to hear the girl because of how far away she was from the group. In the clearing, as the girl squinted her eyes, she could see Avatars. "Dad is going to ground you." She says to Lo'ak, who shushed her.

"Can you stop?" He asks.

"For life." Kiri finishes.

"Bro, we have got to check this out," Lo'ak said, turning to Spider and jerking his head in the direction of the Avatars. Marali internally groaned at what the boy said, and that's when she made her decision. If Jake didn't kill his son, she was seriously going to consider it.

With the group headed straight for danger, Marali decided that she needed to get as close to them as possible without making herself known. All of them drew closer to the scene, using the forest as a way to hide themselves.

"Bro," Spider says, speaking to Lo'ak, "That's where your dad and my dad... fought," He finishes, now fully looking at Lo'ak. Marali had a bad feeling about this.

Maybe I should call it in.

"That's your dad's actual suit," Lo'ak said, pointing to a huge hunk of metal that had been almost completely covered by plants.

"Holy shit," Spider says, laughing.

"I have to call this in," Lo'ak informed. Spider is about to protest, but he looks at Kiri and Tuk. He knew calling it in was the best way to handle the situation.

"Devil dog- Devil dog, this is Eagle eye. Over." Lo'ak whispered while pressing the button on his neck after he made his way back over to Kiri and Tuk.

"Eagle eye, send your traffic."

Lo'ak anxiously looked at everyone in the group. "I've got my eyes on some guys, Avatars, six of them."

"Where are you?"

"We're at the old shack."

"Who's 'we'"

"Me, Spider, Kiri... and Tuk," Lo'ak sighed, knowing he was in for it when his dad saw him again.

"Son, you listen to me very carefully." Jake said slowly, "Pull back now. Do not make a sound. Get the hell out of there. Go! You copy?"

"Yes, sir." Lo'ak replied, "Moving out."

"I told you," Kiri said, hissing at her younger brother. Marali watched the group make their way away from the old site as quickly as possible. She followed along, jumping from tree to tree. "Come on!" Spider said.