#1 - The Heartbeat of Black Heart

Start from the beginning

.
.
.

[Third Person's POV]

Park Kyunghye looked worriedly at Sung Jinwoo who had picked up a new habit lately, after finishing his business last week. Her eldest son did not stop staring at the moon.

Something about the moon had hypnotized the man and wouldn't stop staring at it if it wasn't Kyunghye or Jinah calling him.

Even the call from the Hunter's Association went unheeded.

Leaving Jinwoo in solitude with the night and the moon.

" Oppa ." Unable to bear her mother's worried gaze, Jinah called out to her older brother and touched his shoulder.

"Huh?" Only to be confronted with Jinwoo who had tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Jinwoo-ah." Like a lost child, Jinwoo accepted Kyunghye's embrace. His normally sturdy body suddenly felt smaller and more fragile. The mother of two raised a hand to pat her son's shoulder. Jinah, meanwhile, just stared worriedly at Jinwoo's unusual condition.

"I don't know what's happening to me." Jinwoo pulled back from the embrace. His eyes were glazed over as he gave a wet, painful laugh. It made Kyunghye's heart ache to see the scene.

The memory of Jinwoo crying as a child showing pictures and searching for someone with red hair flashed through her mind.

"My heart..." Jinwoo pointed at his heart with a pained expression and trembling lips.

"It hurts here, Eomma ," Jinwoo whispered in pain. Unconsciously, Kyunghye's eyes welled up with tears, her hands trying to wipe her eldest son's face. Her fingers moved to wipe away tears and tidy up his soft black hair.

Then, they saw Jinwoo's eyes widen and the man seemed lost in thought, with tears starting to flow again.

"Who is he? Why does he look lonely? And in pain? Help him, Eomma ... help him ..."

Kyunghye, who couldn't stand it anymore, could only hug her son. Hoping and praying to be able to ease whatever pain Jinwoo was suffering.

Jinah, on the other hand, picked up a blanket to wrap around her brother's usually sturdy shoulders and hugged him too. She hoped to get those shoulders back upright and as confident as ever.

But, for now, let the Sung family soothe Jinwoo's aching soul.

Let their warmth lull Jinwoo to sleep.

*****

Staring at the moon has now become Sung Jinwoo's new hobby in the days after getting out of the double dungeon.

After the painful night had passed, Jinwoo was grateful that his mother and younger sister didn't bring up the incident much. It seemed that his mother was more cautious and served him whatever he liked, while Jinah, on the other hand, reduced her confinement in the room, and started giving skinship for comfort.

Jinwoo was grateful that they understood and didn't bother him.

Then, the Black Heart started beating again, showing memories from 'Ashborn' about his lover 'Altalune'.

Jinwoo's eyes closed, so that the visuals of the dreams became clearer.

"Ash-ya," called a red-haired man. His outfit this time was different from the military uniform that he usually wore. The man with the jeweled reddish-brown pupils wore a simple white outfit, with soft, quality cotton brown pants.

His hairstyle was also different from last time. It was braided back with some silver flower ornaments, typical of the Ashborn kingdom, that were intricately arranged.