Chapter 23: Worst Case Scenario

Start from the beginning

"I'll miss you every single minute of my life, you know that," with a smile, or what I can pass as one, I plead with him, "Right?"

"Stop it. You are not leaving." He spats, "Tell me what he has against you."

"I love you."

Growing agitated, Zoro doesn't seem to be registering any of my words. He's evidently desperate, and I understand why. I myself I'm still getting my head around the idea.

"Can't you take this seriously?" He grabs me harsher, shaking me slightly.

"Zoro, I have my reasons, and also reasons to keep those to myself. I know I always seem to be keeping secrets, and I'm sorry about that. I'm really am. But this time there is more in play than my life. You have to trust me, please."

He takes a minute to analyse what I've said, "Are you planning to come back later, then?"

"I'll try, but I wouldn't bet on being successful."

"That's not an answer."

I shrug. Better to be clear about this. The last thing I want is to feed unrealistic illusions, "It's all I can give you, sorry."

At that, we both look at the door. Footsteps signal the cook already preparing the kitchen for breakfast. Surely the others will arrive in short.

"Please, don't say anything about this." I beg Zoro in a whisper, "Please."

"And why the hell would I not?" He's pulls away from me. After a moment, he changes directions. Instead of barging in the kitchen, he heads to the crow's nest.

"Where are you going?" I follow him.

"I'm clearly not changing your mind," he speaks in his cruellest voice, without turning to see me, "so, leave me alone."

The day passed in a flash after that. I didn't see Zoro climb down in all day, and I could not get myself to meet him. He needed time, and I just hoped he would appear one last time before midnight. But it had to be his decision.

With that though on the back of my head, I made an effort to appreciate each detail, each interaction with my friends, the way the breeze kissed my skin, the gradual, yet persistent degrading of the blue sky to oranges, and then pink.

After enjoying my last sunset on the Sunny, and my last meal with my friends, I went to pack some of my clothes while everyone had already gone to sleep.

There is not much to pack, really. Most of my clothes are Nami's. I just put my toothbrush and some sketches I had of the crew. While I was folding one of my only shirts, I heard a knock on the door.

Hiding the bag under the sheets, I answer, "Yes? Come in."

The door opens, and his footsteps already cause me to relax. He came.

He sits on the side of the couch, silent for a moment.

"What if I go with you," his voice far more placated than before, quiet, nervous. He must've been thinking about this since this morning.

And to think he arrived at this conclusion makes my heart shrink.

"Don't even joke about that, Zoro." I hesitantly grab his hand, and he intertwines his fingers with mine, finally giving me the closeness I've been craving all day. "This is your place, and you know that. I was never meant to stay for long, I guess. Too much baggage for the Sunny."

"You are not giving me many options," he mutters.

"I know." I sigh, "I wish things were different."