three. to kill a mocking girl

chapter threeto kill a mocking girl⎯⎯⎯⎯

chapter three
to kill a mocking girl
⎯⎯⎯⎯

"Whose idea was this, again?" Hanna asked as the group of five walked through the woods. "Em's Mom." Adalind replied as she walked ahead of Hanna. "The shed was my idea, my Mom just said we should do something for us," Emily said, as she walked ahead of everyone. "Well, couldn't we do something without mosquitoes?" Hanna asked. "They're not mosquitoes, they're gnats." Aria corrected her. "Whatever! They're small and annoying and they're flying up my nose." Hanna complained.

"Well. they're attracted to your perfume, and your hair product, and your lip gloss." Spencer teased. "So what are you saying, I attract flies?" Hanna asked, turning to look at Spener over her shoulder. "Gnats." Adalind corrected. "Why do I feel like this is the wrong way?" Emily said as she stopped, looking around. "No, this is it. I remember that tree, it's the halfway point, there's 136 steps left to the shed." Spencer said, pointing to the tree, making everyone look at her. "Have you been out here since... Alison?" Emily asked her. "Me?" she asked. "No. No way." she said quickly. "But... you remember that tree." Aria said, making Adalind sigh. "Guys, it's not that weird, we'd hang out here everyday in eighth grade, and after that." she said and Hanna nodded in agreement.

"I think this is totally the wrong place to do this... whatever you call it, shrine." Spencer admitted. "It's not a shrine, it's just a place to remember Alison." Emily said. "What's wrong with that?" Emily asked. "Doing it way out here makes it look like we have something to hide." Spencer said. "You're worried what other people think?" Emily asked, slightly shocked. "Well, aren't you?" Spencer questioned. "Do you really want to give that creepy detective more reason to question us?" Spencer asked and Adalind had noticed that Hanna was being too quiet.

Hanna begins walking off, before anyone could say anything. "Hanna, why are you being so quiet?" Emily asked as the rest of the girls followed her as they continued the walk to the shed. "I'm trying to keep the bugs in my nose and out of my mouth." she responded, making Adalind cringe. "You're allowed to have an opinion on this," Emily said, causing Hanna to stop and turn around as the rest of the girls stopped as well. "You want my opinion?" she asked, looking at her friends. "I'd say we hold off and not remember her till we know for sure she's not still here." Hanna said, shocking her friends.

"What?" Aria asked.

"What are you talking about?" Spencer asked.

"You think she's still alive?" Emily asked.

"You can't seriously think she's still out there Han." Adalind said softly.

"Hanna, they found her body." Spencer said. "Stop, I'm... officially scared, can we just not—" Aria started but was cut off by Hanna, "You know what? You asked for my opinion, I don't believe she's really gone." Hanna snapped before she continued to walk towards the shed. "We went to her funeral!" Spencer exclaimed as she followed Hanna, Emily, Aria and Adalind following as well. "Yeah and when we left we all got a text from her." Hanna said. "It wasn't her. Someone is messing with us." Emily said. "How do you know? And what about all those nasty messages?" Hanna said, making Adalind sigh as she wrapped her jacket around herself more. "I mean, how does this 'A' person know stuff only Ali knew?" Hanna asked.