nine. perfect storm

chapter nineperfect storm⎯⎯⎯⎯

chapter nine
perfect storm
⎯⎯⎯⎯

The group of girls, minus Emily, were all sitting in the Hastings kitchen, studying for their SATs. "It's insane, How many words do they expect you to learn in one night?" Hanna asked. "Stringent." Aria said as she quizzes Spencer and Adalind on words. "Uh, tough." Spencer answered. "Inflexible," Adalind added. "It's not like you're gonna actually use 'em." Hanna remarked. "Meretricious." Aria read out.

"It's not like you're gonna go to college and just start speaking a completely different language." Hanna continued as she looked up from her notebook to her friends. "It's about getting into college." Spencer responded to her before answering Aria. "Meretricious, um, phony, flashy?" she asked, unsure and Aria nodded with a hum. "Han, why are you still eating that?" Adalind asked her once she saw that Hanna was picking from their food they had ordered.

"Cause it's here." she answered. "Put it in the garbage." Spencer told her. "Well, then I'd have to stand over the garbage and eat it." Hanna responded, making Adalind laugh. "Besotted." Aria read. "Infatuated, enamored, in-love with." Adalind answered. "Speaking of in-love with, have you spoken to Jason?" Hanna asked Adalind who shook her head. "No, I haven't." she answered. "I've been busy, but I know I should and I will, just not yet." she added and Hanna nodded, satisfied with Adalind's answer before moving on to Aria.

"Hey, what did Noel Hahn say to you after the memorial?" she asked. "Hello, we're taking the SATs in less than twelve hours, can we focus?" Spencer asked, not wanting to get off topic. "Okay, Spencer, you do not need to know anymore big words, you're already scary enough to anyone under fifty." Hanna teased. "I'm not scary!" Spencer protested. "Am I scary?" she asked Adalind and Aria. "A little." The cousins responded in sync.

"Hey, I saw Noel Hahn hug you, and he did not wanna let go." Hanna said to Aria. "Talk about not wanting to let something go." Aria said as she looked at Hanna. "Why can't you give him a chance?" Hanna asked. "He's smart, he's cute, his dad owns, like, half of rhode island and he's got great lips." Hanna continued. "His father?" Spencer asked, screwing up her face in disgust.

"Noel. Ew." Hanna responded, making Aria laugh. "Seriously. Aria, you and Noel would look amazing together." Hanna said. "Can we just drop it, please?" Aria begged. "I'm not looking for anything more than a friend." she added. "Why? Don't you have enough on Facebook? Besides, don't you want someone real? Someone you can, I don't know, scratch and sniff?" Hanna asked. "Wow, Han, maybe you should eat that over the garbage." Adalind teased with a laugh, making them laugh as well.

"Okay, Look, I am trying to help out a friend here." Hanan said, defending herself as Aria got up and got herself a bottle of water. "We don't all have hot older ex-boyfriends," she said to Adalind before moving to Spencer. "Or smokin' hot ball boys from the country club." she said, making Adalind sigh at the mention of Jason. "What is going on with you and Alex? Is he back from that tournament?" Aria asked. "Yeah. he's back." Spencer answered shortly while smiling