SIX

━ " SHE'S GOT THE DEVIL IN HER EYES. "

                  Cleo's eyes sweep the living room in front of her for the second time. However, it now accommodates a group a teenage boys. Their entire focus is dedicated to the animated screen playing in front of them. It feels almost stereotypical: the girls weighed down by their shopping bags and the boys glued to the TV.

Tracy walks in, going unnoticed as she struts across the room. Evie follows her trail, though her steps are already slower and her hips swaying slightly. "Hey boys." Evie says, her lips twisting into a smile.

Practically every guy's attention shifts onto the girl. Drool seeps out of their lips as they mumble nervous words back. The effect of an attractive girl on teenage boys, no surprise there.

Cleo is witness to the scene from the front door. Obviously, she waits for Evie's moment to pass, the ghost of a smile flickering on her lips. Cleo Caddell is all about mastering the ways to make herself the most noticeable distraction.

As soon as Evie steps in Tracy's room and all gazes fall back on the TV, Cleo is seen. "Hi." She laughs, an adorable winkle lining her nose. "Anyone willing to give me an extra hand?" She asks, holding up two shopping bags and grinning softly.

Three guys heave themselves up simultaneously but slump back down at the sight of Mason hurrying over. "I'll do it." He claims, grabbing her bags from her hands.

Cleo pretends to not feel a swarm of butterflies in the pit of her stomach as he guides her into Tracy's room with his hand on her back. Eyes are pinned on the girl until she's out of sight, dozens of hearts drumming against chest.

"Thank you, Freeland." She smiles.

"No problem." He shrugs, stuffing his hands in his pockets. Before she could utter out another sentence, he leaves the corridor, returning to the couch. Her eyebrows knit at this, not being used to such a speedy exit.

━━━

                    Cleo swipes off chunks of pineapple on her pizza. She believes the whole concept to be a fraud. Who could actually appreciate the sweet taste of the fruit against a pizza? On the contrary, Mason scoops them up with no hesitation. He finds the glide of the pineapple against his throat delicious.

Tracy huddles close to her new friends. She raises her pizza to her mouth, stopping there as she catches the futile glances her brother and her friend exchange. She shakes the thought away, blaming it on her mind. Her brother and her brand new best-friend? No way, right?

Cleo lies against Evie's lap, clearing her hair out of her face. One of the boys, probably to catch her attention, throws a piece of fruit toward the girl's face. Cleo lets out a laugh, lifting her hands to shield her face. Tracy carefully watches in envy, wondering how Cleo always manages to attract people towards her.