#27 Turn of Tables

“Dad please tell me the truth, what is going on?” an exhausted sigh leaves my chest.

“Funny how that’s the first thing you ask me,” he says and before I get to ask what is he talking about, he imitates someone I don’t even recognize “Why did you shoot Kevitz?” thinning the pitch of his voice he repeats. I didn’t even ask it like that. Gosh!

“I think I did ask you ‘where have you been’ in that cottage earlier,” I hide my utter incredulous expression in guise of shock. But my imitation of myself gone equally wrong.

“You did? Oh! Then let me tell you I was in a vacation in Switzerland!” he adds slamming his hand on the stirring wheel as if he really is excited to disclose such absurd news.

“Dad are you being serious right now? Come on!” I start to massage my forehead with my thumb and index finger.

“Kevitz…I had to shoot him to get Aurum number two. He had her you know,” he lets go the stirring wheel to air quote the ‘Aurum number two’ and that’s when I yell.

“Dad! don’t let go of the stirring wheel.”

“Okay, okay, calm down,” he gestures me to calm down with his left hand and I roll my eyes.

“So? Why’d you want to get Aurum. Dad she is our enemy, she has been going around committing crimes and the police are suspecting me… she..she even teamed up with Thiago!” I breath in and start speaking again “Kevitz took her with him so that he can catch the real mastermind behind her, so that he knows when they come after him for her.”

“And he was right, they did come for her but guess what? They found you, YOU!” this time he looks at me with a glare that he thought would intimidate me but does he know how many times I have been glared at all this time?

“Yeah So?” I ask.

And then I replay the whole scenario in my mind with his words on the background.

The frenzied men who were after me were actually there to help Aurum, rescue her from the police but when they laid their eyes on me, they knew I shouldn’t be let escape. In berserk they shoot me and Kevitz dead just to stop us from escaping. They knew about me. they knew who I am.
Who I am?

“So?” I ask again hoarsely enough.

“You still don’t get it? They know you’re working with Kevitz and who you are,” they can use you both against me and him.

“They know that I am related to you?”

“You are my daughter though not my blood yet my own. They know exactly how to snap someone in half by their weakness only,” he brushes his hair up and runs his hand down his face disappearing the beads of sweats.

“Who are ‘they’” I look through the window and notice that he is crossing the bushes while green is flashing backwards, the jeep is nearing towards an oddly familiar single-pen cottage and there is that decayed walls copying the horror movies.

Where have I seen this before?

“They are not the ones you should be searching for,” he slows down his jeep continuing to speak “in fact they are definitely not the ones Kevitz is searching for.”

I remember.

This is exactly the cottage I was bought after being kidnapped for the very first time in my life. I was held captive here by Denver where I met Roye.

“What about Roye? You have contacted her?” my mind is searching for any possible answer that might justify the questions- why we are we here and what are we going to do?