♡ Family Outing ♡

Steve and I had known each other for as long as either of us could remember. Growing up, our parents were best friends, often calling each other's family for dinners at their respective houses.

Steve and I, however, were always the odd couple out. While our parents chatted like old friends, we would be quiet and stay out of the conversation. the occasional greeting being all the conversation we'd make.

This soon changed on what would turn out to be a day-long family outing planned by our respective parents.

◇○◇○◇○◇

[A WEEK AGO: FAMILY DINNER]

My parents were chatting with the Harringtons as Steve and I sat there silently, eating our food while our parents plan for a family trip.

"We should definitely go for a family trip", Mrs Harrington said.

"How about a family outing at a campsite?
I was thinking we could go to this one in the mountains and we could make some classic campfire meals like hot dogs and s'mores and have fun!", my mom says, in excitement.

"That sounds like fun!", Mr Harrington exclaimed.

"How about next weekend? We can build some tents at the hills and make a whole weekend of it", my dad said.

"Yes! That's perfect. We'll start packing by tomorrow!"

"Steve?", his dad called him as he looked up at him.

"Y-yeah?"

"Do you like the plan?"

"Yeah, of course", he said, shrugging his shoulders.

"What about you, Y/N?"

I glanced at Steve before saying.
"Yeah, sounds like a good plan", I said, although I knew I would do nothing at the camp but listen to their conversations.

"Okay then! Get ready for some quality family time in nature! We're going for a camp next weekend!", Mrs Harrington said.

◇○◇○◇○◇

[THE WEEKEND: CAMPING DAY]

In the morning, the four parents filled the car with camping gear and drove off, Steve and I sat in the last backseat, together.

I was nervous. We sat together without any preparation, and neither one of us knew what to say, it was really awkward. The conversation felt strained, and the car ride seemed like it would never end.

But, eventually, as the sun set, our parents found a campground at the mountain and got to work setting up the tents.

We all helped each other with the setup. With time and effort, the tent got put up, and then we all sat down by the fireplace.

Soon, it was night time, we had dinner as our parents planned the leisures for the next day. After some time, everyone went into their tents to sleep.

I wasn't sleepy, so I went outside and sat by the campfire, watching the dancing flames and humming a song.

I heard some rustling behind me as I turned to see Steve standing there awkwardly, with his hands in the pockets of his jacket.

"Is it okay if I sit with you?", he says, pointing to the other tree-log across me. I hesitated a little.

"Yeah, of course"

"Thank you", he smiled.

"Why were you sitting alone?"

"Uh, I was bored so decided to come out for a while. What about you?"

"Same", he chuckled.

There was a moment of silence before Steve spoke,
"So, enjoying the campfire?"

"Yes, it's great. I love the warmth", I said, hovering my hands above the flames.

"Yeah, it's nice to get out and enjoy the outdoors. Have you been camping before?"

"No, this is my first time. But I have always loved nature, hiking, and everything in between", I smiled.

"That's cool", he smiled.
"What's your favorite thing to do outside?"

"I really like hiking. I like being out in the fresh air and challenging myself physically. What about you?"

"I love playing sports or just walking around and exploring new areas. I find a sense of adventure in it", he shrugged.

"That's cool! What type of sport do you play?"

"Mostly basketball, I was a champion in my high-school for basketball and swimming"

"I used to play basketball myself when I was younger"

"Really? I would love to play with you sometime", he smiled.

"Yeah, that would be awesome", I chuckled, shyly.

"So, tell me more about yourself"

"Well, I am a college student and I just started studying art. Do you enjoy art?"

"Actually, I do. I appreciate it but I'm not artistic myself. How did you get into it?"

"I have been artistic since I was young and I love expressing myself through different mediums. What about you, what do you like to do?"

"I am gonna apply for a college, so mostly it's work and trying out new things in life", he sighed.

"That's interesting..."

"Yeah, I guess", he shrugged.

"Hey, I'm sure you will do great in college", I gave him a soft smile.

"Thank you. I hope so", he chuckled, lightly.

We talked for what felt like hours, discussing everything from books to dreams. I was amazed at how similar we were, both of us holding the same ideas and hopes for the future. As the sun slowly rose and the birds chirped, we realized that we had talked until dawn.

"It's been really nice talking to you, Steve", I said, as I stood up.

"Yeah, it's been really great talking to you too, Y/N", he smiled, standing up.

We went to our tents to get ready for the day, then we sat by the campfire to have breakfast.

As the four parents chatted, Steve and I joined in the conversation too.

Our parents noticed the different relationship between their two children. It was clear that we had connected the night before. And they were happy that we got along.

And now, we were the best of friends, trusting each other with our deepest secrets, helping and caring for each other. As we grew up, we remained just as close.

I would credit that fateful family outing because I got my best friend that day.