78. Flavor Explosion (Alec)

Start from the beginning

   The organizers have come up with something special for the grand finale. We are located in one of the beautiful private châteaux (castles) of the Loire Valley. This is the last 'Flavor Explosion' category where each of the three finalists will mix three cocktails by their original recipes. The judges will evaluate Mixability - how well the ingredients are combined; Taste, Mouthfeel and Finish - the whole sensory experience that comes with drinking the cocktail; and Package - the creative presentation. Sam will present 'Ice Flower', 'Sweet Peppercorn', and of course 'The Hots'. One thing is more than sure. I am a hundred times more worried than he is. I have no idea how he manages to deal with all this media attention. My boyfriend has already become the hot news. People recognize us on the street and even stop him to ask for autographs.

   We have been in France for a month now, accommodated in Victor's apartment. He went to stay with his two girlfriends to leave it entirely at our disposal, although there is too little time to rest. My phone is full of pictures of Sam and me in front of, behind, and on top of the Eiffel Tower. We toured around Paris on a hop on hop off bus at least ten times, went to the Louvre, Tuileries, Versailles, Notre-dame Cathedral and many other places, some of which I can not even name. It is crazy and tiring, but also the best time of my life.

   Victor is our biggest supporter. We had several long phone conversations after that evening when I spontaneously called him. Although I have not forgotten and completely forgiven what he has done to Sam, I think I understand him better now. He is no longer a threat to my relationship. I am mostly happy I did not force Sam to choose between his childhood friend and me. I know unquestionably that Sam would choose me any time, and it is perfectly enough for me.

   Vic told me he had known all along of his friend's infatuation and wanted to reciprocate Sam's feelings, but the deep-seated patriarchal upbringing prevented him from following his heart. He was torn between his crush and the fear of being rejected by both his and Sam's family. The long-hidden fear turned into anger and frustration over the years. At some point, Victor started hating Sam and envying him for being brave enough to live his life the way he liked. The toxic mixture of love and hate led to that terrible outcome when Victor hurt the person he cared about the most. It wasn't only Sam's heart that was broken. 

   After years of therapy, he returned home, determined to come out of the closet and fix everything. And guess what, I was already there, making it impossible. Victor did not hate me. He intended and actually tried to befriend me, but I was prejudiced. I had already passed his sentence before I even knew him. He hated the fact that I would not let him win his best friend back. That is how all went wrong, and he lost Sam again. Vic turned out to be a nice guy who made a terrible mistake. I can bravely say that we are friends now. In fact, I unintentionally helped him find happiness. Scarlet and Purple, the star girls whose actual names turned out to be Lydia and Anna, came to Paris with him. The three of them live together now, and I dare say, are a great match.

   "He is going to do iiiit! Oh. my God! He will! He will!" Lydia screams, interrupting my thoughts. She mercilessly shakes my stiff body by the shoulder. "Alec! Oh, my Goood!"

   "What? What?" I gaze at the stage where the judges have already given their votes, and the dashing emcee is preparing to reveal the results. 

   "You'll be so surprised if Sam wins," Anna squeaks, grabbing my hand.

   "Why would I be surprised?" I mutter, jumping up on my feet. "Of course, he'll win."

   "Yes, you wiiill," she keeps yelling.

   "Hush, girl," Lydia grumbles. "You'll ruin it."

   "And the title 'Bartender of The Year' goes to Samuel Christoff for his original recipe and spectacular presentation of The Hots," the hostess announces. The hall erupts in thunderous applause. She raises her hand, "Wait! Wait a moment, my friends. I know you love Sam, but let me give you the poof. The audience award this year goes to him as well, for the Sweet Peppercorn. This man concurred our hearts. What a success!"

   She waits for a few minutes for the crowd to calm down and continues, "Before I give the microphone to the winner, I have a request to make on his behalf. Alec, are you here? Sam invites you to join him on stage."

   "What?" My jaw drops. What is happening? Why? No! I can't do that. There are cameras and...

   "Move, bro!" Victor drags me by the arm towards my grinning boyfriend. I'll kill them both when this is over. Idiots! Oh, my God! We are on French National Television. How many of the people I know are watching French National Television? Everyone - mom, dad, Nicol, Rose, Danny, Ella, every single person in the bar... Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!... We finally reach Sam. My legs are trembling. Vic pushes something in his hand and hisses in my ear, "No fainting, boy!"

   "Thank you so much!" Sam addresses the audience and the judges. "I am grateful and honored to accept the prize. Your appreciation makes the years of hard work worth it and gives new meaning to my profession. I promise I won't leave this place before each one of you has tried one of my cocktails. Are you ready to partyyyyy?"

   A powerful "Yeaaaah!" shakes the roof.

   "But before that," Sam adds. "I want to thank also the person who is my greatest inspiration, my boyfriend Alec. I am going to ask him a question. Can you, please, be quiet for a moment, so that I can hear the answer."

   He falls on one knee before me in the newly established, complete silence. My heart will jump out of my chest. What is he doing? Sam opens the small black box Victor gave him. There is a diamond encrusted engagement ring inside. He takes it out and looks into my eyes. I stare back into my favorite, mesmerizing shade of green. There is not a single rational thought in my head. This is all like a dream. I carefully put my hand on his shoulder to steady my quivering body and take a deep breath. I can do this. No fainting.

   "Will you marry me, Sweet Peppercorn?" Sam asks quietly and puts his hand on mine.

   There is no other possible answer than "Yes!"

THE END

___________________________________

Photo by RDNE Stock project from Pexels

Photo by Full rights with model releases from istockphoto.com

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 78!

My dear friends, I am so excited to complete this crazy, romantic story. 🍾

I am so grateful to all of you who supported me from the very beginning. 

Thank you from all of my heart! 

You are amazing! ❤️❤️❤️

Which is your favorite moment of Sam and Alec's story?

What do you like most about their relationship?

Did the story end as you expected?

There is more, so see you in the next chapter 😉

Share your thoughts, ask questions, and criticize if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you liked the story.

Love: Anny