Chapter 14: First Steps

Start from the beginning

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, indeed...

The tiny penguin pointed a wing at him. "H-halt! Uh... F-fiend. State your business!" they puffed themselves up, trying to be intimidating.

Junior wrinkled his nose. "I should be askin' you that."

"I-I... um..."

Junior took a step forward and tilted his head. The avian squawked and scooped up some snow, "H-hey! Stay back... tiny Bowser?"

Junior narrowed his eyes. "Are you... Are you going to throw that at me?"

"...no."

Liar. What's a royal penguin doing here? Wouldn't they be scared about being here, so close to the Darklands' army? As prince, he should investigate. Can't risk possible sabotage or a spy. Junior took another step closer. And was consequently pelted by a snowball.

"HEY!"

Junior growled and wiped the snow off his snout; he shot a glare at the penguin before dropping down and grabbing some snow. He chucked it at the mean penguin, who screeched in surprise and retaliated. The two went back and forth, engaging in heated combat. But eventually, Junior's arm grew tired, and he realized that he was starting to get cold. He raised his hand, asking for a truce, before collapsing on his stomach. The royal bird dropped their snowball and did the same.

Junior and the penguin looked at each other as they caught their breath and slowly started giggling; those giggles quickly gave way to full-blown laughter. They had been so caught up in their battle that they hadn't even realized how ridiculous they looked. One could barely discern the blue feathers or gold scared underneath all that snow.

As they laughed, Junior and the penguin began to relax. The tension that had been building between them dissipated, and they realized that they were not so different after all. They both loved to play in the snow, and they both had a mischievous streak. Junior extended a hand to the penguin, who tentatively took it. They shook hands, and then Junior pulled the penguin into a hug. The penguin was surprised at first but then relaxed into the embrace.

"Sorry about scaring you," Junior said.

"It's okay," the penguin replied. "I kinda did start it..."

They pulled away, dusting off their feathers. Junior shook the cold from his scales. The royal penguin stepped closer, "I'm Tuxie!" she said.

"I'm Junior! Fearsome prince of the Darklands!"

He put his hands on his hips and let out an impish giggle. Tuxie tilted his head, "Oh! You're the prince Baba was talking about," she said. "You're not... scary like your dad."

Junior crossed his arms. "He isn't scary! He just wants to protect everyone."

"I guess that's true... That's what my Baba is like too,"

The Koopa Prince stopped for a moment to look at the Penguin Princess. She looked at him... curiosity? She looked a little nervous about being around him, but she didn't look scared. Tuxie wasn't snobby like her dad (at least, that's what Junior has heard his dad say about the Penguin King). And from Tuxie's perspective, he didn't seem threatening. She actually found Junior to be cool, and he wasn't mean like Baba said he'd be! Otherwise, he wouldn't have said sorry about scaring her.

Junior shivered slightly, bringing his hands to his snout, and breathing a flame into them; Tuxie waddled closer, hoping to borrow some of Junior's warmth. With their earlier conflict completely forgotten, the two quickly fell into conversation. Junior and Tuxie talked about their respective homes and families. Junior shared stories of his dragon family, how they would fly over the mountains and breathe fire into the sky. Tuxie told Junior about her life in the cold lands, and how she would slide on the ice with her sisters and explore the tunnels near the Cool, Cool Castle.