one-shot #36

Back to December - Taylor Swift

August 26th, 1996

My leg bounced up and down uncontrollably as I waited for Hermione to get to the astronomy tower. She said she had something planned for us, but so did I.

I had a feeling two different things were happening.

A few moments passed and I heard her light footsteps approaching. She bounded up the steps and onto the platform towards me, holding a flower in her hands. One specific flower, a lily of the valley. The flower I pointed out to her during our first date, going on and on about how beautiful it was.

"Hello my love." She planted a kiss on my cheek.

"Hi Mione."

She sat down on the floor and I sat across from her. "So for tonight, I was thinking we stay up here a little, stargaze, then go back to my dorm and get cozy and watch a movie. Maybe Clueless? Or-"

"Hermione, wait." I cleared my throat, the tears already building up inside of me. "We need to talk."

She tilted her head, "is everything okay love?" She brought her hand up to my face and gently stroked my cheek with her thumb. I took her hand and moved it away.

"I think- Um-" I felt my voice start to wobble. Damn it, stay strong. "I think we need to let go. Of each other."

"What? Don't be silly, Y/N, what are you talking about?" She had a hopeful smile on her face. "We're okay, aren't we?"

I looked at my hands and shook my head. "We- I'm not okay. I can't do this anymore."

She leaned away from me and took a shaky breath. "I thought- Y/N I love you, please-" She leaned forward again and tilted my face to look at hers. Tears were streaming down my face. I couldn't tell what hurt more: us being over or the fact that I was the one ending it.

"And I love you, Hermione. So much. I don't think I'll ever love someone as much as you but you can do so much better than me." I stood up and went to walk away.

"Don't walk away from me, Y/N. Don't you dare." Her voice started to get louder, but it wasn't steady. I knew she was on the verge of breaking, and I couldn't stand to see it happen.

I turned around and she was now also standing. "Please Hermione, don't make this harder than it already is."

The tears started to stream down her face, and she shook her head. "No. No, no this is not happening right now."

I walked closer to her and took her hands. "It has to. It's better this way. For both of us."

She continued to shake her head. "No. You are what's best for me, Y/N. Please we can work this out, I-" Her voice broke and she collapsed into my arms.

My tears started to become heavier, and I ran my fingers through her hair, for what would be the last time. "I'm so sorry," I whispered. Sorry, sorry, sorry. That was all I could say.

She stood up and looked at me. "If you're sorry you wouldn't do this. You'd stay and work things out. We can work it out I promise-"

"Don't do that. Don't promise. I-" My voice broke. "I'm sorry." I turned around and started to walk towards the stairs. "I love you, Mione. But this is what has to happen."

She started yelling, but at this point I forced her voice out of my head. I couldn't stand to hear her breaking. Not because of me. Not when I couldn't do anything to help her.

I left her standing at the top of the astronomy tower, barely gripping the lily of the valley she picked from the forbidden forest for me.