006 | hazel eyes, starry eyes

Start from the beginning

"Boys and their weird obsession with landspeed racing." Kaileen murmured under her breath.

They arrived in the Lars homestead with long faces and defeat; Owen Lars noticed the boys, mostly to Luke who seemed disappointed. He glances at Beru, curious of what happened to the race and his wife tells him, "The boys lost in the bet."

"Arrik didn't win?"

His wife nodded, informing him that Tank Sunber's brother won and Owen let out a small laugh, "They'll get over it."

Beru shakes her head, grinning at her husband and said; "I know. Maybe two or three days."

"How's the mission?" Beru asked, shifting the topic. Owen assures her wife it'll be alright and Yari is still with Sabé, trying to settle what just happened in Mos Pelgo. Both of the couple knew the growing tension in Mos Pelgo due to the drought season and most of the moisture farmers are having a hard time gathering water in their vaporators, to add up the growing water taxes of Jabba the Hutt. It's always been Padmé Amidala and Jareth Bonteri's mission to free slaves and remove the ridiculous water taxes – of course in remembrance of Shmi Skywalker and the other slaves.

Beru and Owen Lars have always been part of the mission; the reason Yari knew the couple at the very beginning. Beru sighed heavily; "I hope it'll end soon."

Kaileen and Lorrae left the landspeeder, following the boys to the Lars homestead. Kaileen went beside Skywalker who stayed silent throughout the ride so she breaks the ice, "Hey, it's just a game. Don't be mad about it."

The sand-haired boy finally expressed himself to her, "I'm not mad. I'm surprised that Sunber won when Arrik is the best in the game."

"Always expect the unexpected, Skywalker." Kaileen uttered while she put on the poncho that her Aunt Beru made.

"I guess so."

Kaileen went closer to her friend and put her arm on his shoulder, even though the boy is a few inches taller than her, "Cheer up, there'll be another race and surely, Arrik will win."

"And to think about it, it's just one loss." Lorrae added and the other boys heard Lorrae's remark so Biggs spoke, "In a Darklighter standard, we don't really lose."

The Nubian girl replied to Biggs, "It's normal not to win, Biggs. We can't always get what we want or get victories. Like my mom said, losing gives us a lesson by doing better."

Silence invaded them even though the boys were speechless. Beru called the children to come inside the homestead to eat their snacks and reminded them that they need to go back home before the twin sun goes down.

From the boys' disappointment, they became giddy as they saw Beru's blue cheese placed on the table. They boys didn't hesitate to sit down and enjoy the snack —— evident from their faces that they're not upset unlike earlier. Kaileen is seated beside Luke who seems more preoccupied on her plan to have a sleepover, in which Beru tells the girl that they need to wait for her mother's permission but the child insists that it'll be fine.

"Kai, your mother will be furious." Beru reminds her.

"Please, Aunt Beru. I don't want to spend my night at Mos Eisley." She begged and of course, Beru has always a special inkling to her goddaughter so as she acts defeated and says, "Alright, I'll tell Yari."

Kaileen quickly hugged her and said; "Thank you so much, Aunt Beru."

She smiled and the child went back to Luke. Kaileen and Luke didn't mind much for Lorrae and Biggs' banter about the race while Deaks and Windy kept on eating, laughing at Lorrae and Biggs.