𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲

Magsimula sa umpisa

The weather also seemed to be reacting to what Huxley was doing. The sunny sky instantly became dark and cloudy, and the wind picked up its speed. Huxley took a few steps back until he reached his friend. Once he reached her, he ripped the book out from her hands and opened a page he seemed to know by heart. A smile grew on his face as he looked up at his work. "Yes! 'Tis working!" He cheered. Lucy only continued to stare at the diamond in nothing but horror. Huxley looked down at the book in his hand before taking a few steps forward.

Then, he began to speak.

"By the forces of the unknown, I offer my flesh as a throne," he practically yelled, glancing down at the book in his hand. "Let the beast of the abyss take hold, its power and fury to unfold!" The flames roared a grew larger as Huxley continued to recite his supposed incantation out loud. By that point, I had already taken my back off the tree and positioned myself properly so I wouldn't get blown away by the harsh winds that surrounded the forest.

"Terence!" Lucy cried out in fear. "Forbear it!" She was clinging onto another tree next to her, and her feet were barely keeping her on the ground. Huxley didn't stop. He only looked back at Lucy with a smile before turning back to the fire. "Let my body be its cage, to dwell within and lay its rage. I am but a vessel for its might, to execute and rid this world of light," he continued. Thunder began to boom in the sky, and when I looked up, the clouds began to rotate in a circle. Right over the ball of fire.

"Let its essence flow within my veins, and bind my will to its dark chains," Huxley finished. "I call upon the ancient spell, to summon this beast from lowest hell." I moved from one tree to another to get a closer look, and when as soon as I did, the ball of fire turned from purple flames to a ball of the familiar black substance I've seen countless times. Huxley stepped towards the ball, dropped the book, and stretched his arms out as if he was offering himself to it. He parted his lips and uttered one final thing.

"So mote it be."

As soon as he finished, the black ink took a monstrous form. A sole black and orange eye appeared on its body before it charged towards Huxley. When I got the chance to process what was happening, the monster forced its way into Huxley's body through his mouth, similar to how he forced his way out of mine. I let out a gasp. Both at the sight and at the realization of what was happening. What already happened.

This had already happened in the past. That explained the old clothes. That explained Huxley looking more alive. Right now, I was witnessing the very moment The Insolence came into this world. I was witnessing the very thing that caused humanity to go extinct be born. I was witnessing the very moment that things turned upside down. For everyone. This very moment ruined everything. It started building everything that would later lead to this very point.

It was as if Huxley already knew that.

It finished as soon as it began. It felt like it lasted forever, but at the same time, as soon as I blinked, it was done. The glow from the diamond dissappeared, and the weather suddenly became cloudy rather than stormy. The look in Lucy's eyes told me that she wanted nothing more than to rush to her friend as he sank down to his knees, but given the circumstances, she couldn't. Moreover, it seemed like she didn't want to, either.

"Terence...?" Lucy muttered from her place next to a tree. Huxley's body began to tremble, and he slowly wrapped his arms around himself. Then, he began to snicker. That snicker turned into a chuckle, and that chuckle became a maniacal laugh. "Yes... Yes...!" He cheered. "Its power is finally mine!" Lucy became alarmed at her friend's sudden change in behavior. She slowly pulled herself away from the tree and began to walk towards him.

"Terence, are thou alright?" Lucy tried again as she kept getting closer. Every part of me wanted to yell at her to get away from him, to get away from here, but I couldn't. This had already happened. Whatever Lucy decided to do now was already done. All I could do was watch as she made what was the worst decision of her life in my eye. Huxley only continued to laugh quietly, but he got quieter as Lucy walked around him and bent down in front of him.

When she reached her hand out, his grabbed her wrist before she could blink.

Lucy yelped as Huxley pulled her down to her knees. When he looked up at her, I noticed that his eyes were black and orange. Just as they were every single time. As soon as his eyes met hers, they became the same color. Black and orange. Lucy instantly tensed up at the feeling. They both stared into each other's eyes for a few seconds before the girl managed to snap out of it and stumble back.

Breathing heavily, she moved away from her friend. I didn't even know if I could call him her friend after what he did. "T-Terence, what is wrong with thou?!" Lucy yelled, rubbing her eyes. "What didst thou doth to me?!" The boy did nothing but stare at her with wide eyes. It was easy to tell that he was surprised that Lucy managed to break free from his hold. However, his surprised expression changed, and a smile formed on his lips.

"I see. Hence that's how it is."

He slowly stood up in place. "I offer thou power, freedom, and the chance to 'scape all thy problems, and yet thou decline?" He asked, his voice laced with anger. "Why?" That's when it hit me. He was trying to possess her. He was trying to get her under his control, just as he did with Mr.P. The invisible aura around Huxley screamed nothing but terror and suffering, but from the corner of my eye, I noticed Lucy's expression. She didn't care one bit. Instead, she stood up tall against her now former friend.

"I know not whom thou are, what thou  didst to Terence, or why he even summoned thou in the first place," she began, her voice filled with a hint of rage. "Yet I do want not thy power to get what I do lack. In fact, I do not even crave to rise of mine marriage." She lifted a hand and rested it on her chest with pride. "As a woman, I hast an obligation to serve mine issue. I intend to try that till I take mine last breath." Huxley only laughed at her promise.

"Really? and how doth thou resolve on doing that?"

"I'll protect future members of this issue from thou."

Huxley scoffed and almost burst into laughter again. "How?! I've just achieved the greatest spiritual power in the history of mankind!" He boasted. "What may you doth to challenge that?" He then widened his eyes, and Lucy's eyes turned to black and orange once more. She let out a gasp and stumbled for a few moments, grasping and pulling at her hair. Then, her head snapped upwards and her eyes returned to their normal color. I held back a gasp when I realized what was happening, what she was doing.

Lucy was fighting him off.

It wasn't easy, but she was able to keep him out of her mind, just as I had done countless times. It wasn't easy for her, but somehow... she was able to stand against him. Against The Insolence. Huxley started to struggle as the two of them continued their staring battle. Eventually, Lucy gained the upper hand, managing to force Huxley down to his knees with nothing but her cold, menacing stare. Something about it seemed... familiar. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell what is was.

Huxley panted and breathed heavily as sweat fell from his face to the ground. Lucy only continued to stare at him as her eyes returned to their normal color, her fists clenched and her posture firm. "Hm... well, then," Huxley began, a smile forming on his face once more. "Thou've just declared war on an opponent thou won't win against..." When he stood up again, he didn't try to change her eyes. Instead, all he did was mutter her name and walked away.

And my heart stopped right then and there.

"...Lady Luciana Noelle Emerson."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Once again, I am VERY sorry for this late chapter! I've been spending more time with family in order to cope with the tragic loss we endured.

Fortunately, I'm out of school for the summer, so I should be able to get these out more quickly!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

<3