The Gift of Loki

A flash of light, then nothing. There’s something different about this nothingness; it's palpable, almost tangible, even. I stick my hand out in front of me only to see nothing but to feel a coldness surrounding my hand. It begins to creep up through my arm, to my neck, and to my chest. Soon, the rest of my body will feel cold. What is this? Where am I? My consciousness begins to drift away from me. It leaves in waves for what feels like an eternity; each time I regain it, I only see that now familiar darkness. 

There is a sudden flash of green. It travels through, lighting a path as though it were burning the darkness away. At the end of the path is a glowing... something. I can’t quite tell what it is. A rock? Maybe. A person? Unlikely. I try to take a step, but I feel as though the fabric of time itself is wrapped around me, keeping me where I am. The object grows closer, and with a flash of blue, I am unconscious again.

*****

When I wake up, I am in an ornate room. The filigree throughout the room is gold and is perfectly adorned with gray and green marble. I am sitting against a pillar on one side of the room. I look around, realizing I am not the only one brought here. On either side of me are people who I’ve never met. Not all of them are humans, though some do look like they could be. There are also guards lining the walls. I panic and try to stand up, only to find I have been chained to these other people. I try to bang the chains against the pillar behind me. 

"I already tried that," said a man sitting next to me. He had peculiarly long ears and stark blond hair. "They are magically bound, nothing can break them." He stared off into the distance, a look of defeat on his face.

"Do you know where we are? Why are we here?" I ask him. I study his clothing; it is a fairly simple white tunic with a blue sash tied off at the waist. It looks well worn.

"We are in Asgard. It seems Odin is out of town, and his son," the man scoffs, "has taken the kingdom for himself. For the moment, that is. Thor and Odin will come back, and it will all be sorted out soon."

"Asgard? You mean like the Myths-"

"Yes, like the myths," he says over me. "Believe me when I say this isn’t our first rodeo with the God of Mischief." The man looks exhausted. How many times has this happened?

"The god of mischief?" I stare at him. If I wasn’t currently tied down with dozens of other people in the most beautiful building I think I have ever seen, I wouldn't have believed a word he was saying.

The man laughs and turns to look at me. "You must be from Midgard. Or, as you call it, Earth." I nodded in response. "Welcome to Asgard, little one. You’re certainly in for a treat." The man looks down the line to a golden throne; for a second, I could have sworn his eyes flashed an emerald green hue. I turn my gaze down the line as well, and when I do, a cloud of green appears, and from it walks a man with golden horns adorned on his head.

"I am Loki of Asgard, God of Mischief, and you will kneel before me!" The man yells, his voice reverberating throughout the room. It is met with a few laughs and a few uneasy breaths. "I said kneel!" The guards come up to us and manhandle us on our knees. Their eyes glowed the same green as the mist the horned man walked out of. I keep my eyes on the ground as he begins to walk down the center aisle. "You are probably wondering why I brought you here today." The man’s shoes made a distinct noise on the floor below him. He walked with purpose. "I brought you here because one of you will be awarded a gift; however, I will only give this gift if you offer me something as well."

I look at the man beside me. His eyes are fixated on Loki, almost as though he were in some kind of trance. I look up at Loki as he paces the floor in front of me. In addition to the horns on his head, his outfit is black with lavish accents of green and gold. He is carrying a scepter that glows a faint blue. He stops in front of me, his blue eyes meeting mine. "You look like you have something to offer." He flicks his fingers, and the chains on me disappear. "Tell me. What would you wish for?" He looks down at me, his gaze cold and calculating.