Chapter Eight: Stubborness

Garcello didn't know why he had chosen to follow this kid. He didn't know him from the next guy – he had only heard about Skid due to his and Pump's notorious Spooky Month heists. He had to admit, not seeing Skid with his pumpkin themed companion was a bit concerning. With the pace the pandemic was moving at, however, he was certain that Pump was corrupted. He wanted to change the kid's mind about going to find him especially when said idea involved going to the house on the hill but he knew that a child's mind was hard to sway when it was set.

In a way, it wasn't unlike how Whitty's mind had been...

Even now, Garcello was still punching himself in the head for letting Whitty run away. The scene was still clear as day in his head.

🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀

It was a morning just a few days ago. For the past three days, Garcello and Whitty had been traversing Newgrounds with caution. Having found that Hex was corrupted had Whitty shaken up but Garcello had been doing a good job of keeping the bomb head's mind in the right place. With all Garcello's knowledge about the streets and its little hideouts, it was a cinch finding good hiding spots not yet taken by Corruptions. Whitty had wanted to find Carol and while going to her apartment was a bit of a risk, Garcello had agreed to it.

Up until that point, Whitty's infection remained as it was. It was still bad but nothing had gotten worse. Whitty still seemed to have his will aside from the episode he had before. All seemed to be going in their favor – if they found Carol safe and sound, perhaps she could even get rid of the infection. It was a lot to ask but both Garcello and Whitty knew that she was an angel. Perhaps she could grant some sort of blessing to get rid of Whitty's infection. Garcello remained optimistic about the possibility and in turn, Whitty was too. It was something else how Garcello's mood could be contagious even with the relations between the two being so strained.

"I'm going in alone."

Those were the first words Whitty spoke when they reached Carol's apartment complex. On the surface, it seemed to be fine but both knew better than to trust what anything looked like. That was also the reason why Garcello was so hesitant to let Whitty go alone.

"Hang on a minute – I know you're eager to get back to your love angel but what if this is another illusion? Are you just going to go in alone?"

Garcello was hoping to get the bomb head to reconsider but all he got was a head shake.

"Even if it is, I'm ready to face it. I'm not going to let some parasite have Carol. It's bad enough it's got Hex..."

Whitty paused to look at both of his infected hands, magenta claws glowing brightly – brighter than Garcello recalled them glowing usually. Maybe it was just his eyes playing tricks on him though so he didn't bother saying anything.

"...and it's almost got me."

Whitty's words were softspoken and fearful. Honestly, Garcello doubted that the ex-rock star even intended for them to be heard but the former smoker always had a good ear. It was probably how he'd even managed to make it this far. Never mind the fact that he had died to cursed cigarettes.

"Tell me, Whitty. Do you just want to go alone because you can truly handle it or is it because you're worried about your infection?"

Garcello didn't know what prompted him to say that but it was out there anyway. Whitty glared at him, crossing his arms, and turning away.

"I can handle it just fine. I just don't want you getting in my way!"

Garcello wasn't surprised by Whitty's snapping. He could tell that he was the last person that Whitty wanted to travel with. If the situation had been any different, Whitty probably would have gone far off by now. He never blamed him. Their past was not resolved. Honestly, he doubted it could ever be resolved and the former smoker didn't go out of his way to do so. Afterall, it was his fault that things went in the direction they did. If only he had kept his mouth shut back then.