41. Bouquet of Lies

Start from the beginning

Susan waved at me as soon as she spotted me, she was on a call.

I waved back before heading to the coffee machine to get a cup for myself and her.

"Thanks love," she said when I handed it to her five minutes later.

I nodded as I sat down.

"It's Wednesday!" she exclaimed.

I nodded. "Yes it is."

She laughed. "No, you silly. I meant it's Wednesday, as in you have two days until your meeting with Mr X!"

My eyes widened as what she said registered.

It was Wednesday.

And I was meeting Mr X on Friday.

I had two days until then.

And I had completely forgotten about it.

"Did you forget?" The shock that was on my face mirrored hers.

"I was ... busy." I felt like an idiot. How could I have forgotten about it?

Granted the past two days have been a jumble, with me running around trying to come up with a way to announce that I was quitting, being confused and preoccupied with the enigma that was Ethan Clarke, work, the hotline.

I had forgotten about Mr X momentarily because since that day we had confirmed that we would meet on Friday, we hadn't spoken again.

Susan laughed, "You're joking, right? Next thing you'll say you haven't gotten something to wear for Friday?"

"I should ?" I felt my face burn up.

Was I supposed to get new clothes for Friday? Was it something that was expected? What was Friday? Was it just two friends meeting up? Or was it like a date?

"ASHLEIGH," Susan looked at me like I had grown an extra head. "Please tell me that you plan on getting tomorrow off to get ready, or I swear I..."

"I do," I lied feeling sheepish.

"Well that's great, love. And here I was thinking you would just show up in something casual."

I chuckled sheepishly, trying not to show that that was what I had been planning.

As if by clockwork, the phone rang signalling that it was time to go back to work.

I had seven calls by the time it was time to clock out.

None of them was from Mr X. Not that I had expected him to call.

We had somehow fallen into the silent agreement to give each other space until Friday.

I was planning to ask Ethan for a day off tomorrow to get ready for Friday. After all, there was hardly anything to do at Building X lately.

Leah had offered to go with me when I mentioned it to her earlier.

The aroma of barbecuing meat greeted me once I got home, followed by the sound of laughter and music.

I stopped by the door, momentarily confused by it all. Was this really the same quiet and cold place that I had left earlier.

I pushed open the door and was greeted by the darkness that didn't quite match what I had heard.

I entered the house quietly, almost apprehensively.

My guard fell when I saw people out by the patio. It didn't take a genius to guess who it was.

Julie and James sat together laughing as Julian sat across from them. The fire was burning behind them, casting a warm hue over them. There was someone by the grill but the smoke covered his face.