35 - Finding a Loved One

Start from the beginning

"Hi," The woman says calmly.

"Mom!" Before I can think for a second, my feet move on their own rushing into the arms of my mother, who immediately stokes my head with a serene smile.

My chest contracted, tighter and tighter, and my throat grew dry as tears welled up at the edges of my eyes. Like a ticking time bomb, any tactic to prevent it was utterly futile. The tears slipped down my chin and fell to the ground below. My frame shuddered as I wrapped my arm closer around my mother while attempting to breathe deeply and calm my raging thoughts. "Mom!"

"Hello, sweetie. Look how big you've grown." She whispers, tears in her eyes. My mom looks up and sees Gladion slouching to the side, clearly feeling awkward in the situation. "And who's this?"

I loosen my grip around my mother's waist and extend an arm out to Gladion. "This is my dear friend, Gladion!" I smile through my tears as my mother reaches out an arm to him.

"Anyone clearly so close to my daughter is welcome," Mom says kindly, offering a three-way hug.

He reluctantly joins the embrace -- one with my two most treasured people at my sides -- then we all step back. "I'm so glad," I whimper, wiping more trickles of tears that seem endless. "I don't know why I'm crying..."

"It's okay." Mom comforts me, "Thank you, though, both of you. Gladion, thanks for being so close to my daughter's heart -- I know it's made her very happy. And (Y/N)... Thank you so much for continuing to live on and grow to be the outstanding young woman you are now."

"Mom," I say, the last of my tears gone. "I love you."

"I love you too, (Y/N), and your brother, Sun." My mother says with a content smile. "I'm so fortunate to see you once again. And I'll rest better knowing you're in good hands." She winks at Gladion and then raises a hand to wave farewell.

"G-goodbye," I mumble.

She has one request, "Smile for me again before I depart, okay?"

"Okay," I whisper, smiling wide and genuine with pure joy, closing my eyes. When my eyelids slowly flutter open, she's gone, and all I have left of her is the Trial Captain charm.

"(Y/N)?"

I look up to see Gladion's saddened expression. "I'm okay." I tell him confidently.

"Good," He says, seemingly relieved by my response with a small, rare smile. "Now, about the thing I wanted to tell you..."

"Yes?"

He heavily inhales, as if rallying his courage. "For the longest time, (Y/N)... I... I've felt very deeply for you, (Y/N). You could say I've even grown fond of you. I think... I love you."

———

Word count: 1104 words

Author's Note:

This is your reminder not to be a silent reader! I love feedback! Thank you for reading this, though it came a bit late. I've been writing other things -- a lot (refer to photo below).

- Lillian